CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Tapes not full but get error: No Resources available 19:1105

Last post 07-06-2010, 6:16 AM by Daniel Rose. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tapes not full but get error: No Resources available 19:1105
    Posted: 06-30-2010, 6:48 AM

For our auxcopy we use a tape library with 24 tapes. But all the time it does not use the complete tape storage capacity. The tape appendable time is set to 14 days so that should be enough.

Also the in the advanced backup options i turned off: Start new media, Mark media full after succesful operation.

It has to backup for example 20Gb and on one tape is space for 300Gb it does not use that tape. In this way i have to use lots of tapes :)

But some other tapes are written full. Any idea what i have to change that it fills all the tapes?

Also is there a way when an auxcopy job is waiting for resources to pinpoint it to a tape with space in the library so it uses that one?

• Re: Tapes not full but get error: No Resources available 19:1105
    Posted: 06-30-2010, 9:11 AM

Hi Riconl

This could be a configuration issue, or a hardware issue.

How many streams do you have configured for the Storage Policy?  Are you combining streams on the auxiliary copy?  If so, what is that value?

When mutliple streams are used on the primary, an equal number will be used on the secondary by default, reserving a tape for each.  The streams may not all have the same amount of data, which would result in some tapes having more data than others.

MattR

Posted: 06-30-2010, 9:22 AM

In the storage policy are 10 streams configured.

I am not combining streams on the auxilary copy.

Posted: 06-30-2010, 9:27 AM
    That would be the reason for the tape utilization that you have experienced.

How many tape drives do you have available? Even with more than 10 available, you might want to consider combining streams to, say 5, to reduce your tape consumption.
    Posted: 06-30-2010, 9:39 AM

There are 2 drives available in de library with 23 tapes available.

At this point 15 tapes are marked as full and 7 are standing as active.

One tape for example has 97Gb written to it and 300Gb available. There are only 3 streams waiting to be written to tape with a total of 240Gb. I would think it can write it to that tape.

Maybe it has to do that we use DeDup on the primary?

Posted: 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
    Each tape is reserved for a specific stream.

If you only have two tape drives, I would recommend setting the combine streams value to 2.
    Posted: 06-30-2010, 10:12 AM

Ok will change that.

To resume the auxcopy job i can do nothing else then to put other tapes in the library i think? Or is there a way to point the job to a tape so it uses that one? Because there are still tapes with space.

Posted: 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
    The current job will not finish unless media are added to the library.

You could kill the job, adjust the policy copy settings to combine streams, then submit a new aux copy.
    Posted: 07-06-2010, 6:16 AM

MattR:
    Each tape is reserved for a specific stream. If you only have two tape drives, I would recommend setting the combine streams value to 2.

Hi Matt,
    I know the documentation reads that way, however I don't think it works (entirely) like that in practice.

For example, I have a storage policy that is used for SQL database clients. This storage policy has 100 streams, and performs backups of approximately 500 subclients over around 80 clients. All streams get used (new jobs wait for a stream).

The primary copy goes to two media agents locally mounted SAN storage. Due to the DB2/SQL copy quirks with multiplexing - ie. restore is not simple from a multiplexed copy - we do not combine streams or multiplex on the secondary copy.

The secondary copy goes to a shared ADIC Scalar i500 library with six tape heads. The library holds 110 media. We most definately do not go through 100 media per full cycle. Rather, the actual operation of this configuration appears to be that the auxiliary copy will use as many tape devices as possible, and write a single stream to each. When a stream completes, a new stream seems to continue on the same media. If the system reserves one physical media per stream, you would expect that we would require 100 tapes, just for this storage policy. As we've only used around 200 tapes in the past twelve months, this just isn't the case..

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy