CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Disk space issues

Last post 09-10-2011, 1:14 PM by Liam. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Disk space issues
    Posted: 08-16-2011, 9:11 AM

We are running with managed disk space enabled and thresholds are set to start ageing data at 75% full. One of our 3 libraries is now running at over 90% full so the ageing obviousley hasn't kicked in.

We have dash copy schedules set to run be we arent currently using them due to the disk space issue but when I "view jobs" there are loads of jobs there with the status of "to be copied".

Is this the reason for my space issue? If I simply set the jobs to "do not copy" and then run data ageing, should this free my space up?

• Re: Disk space issues
    Posted: 08-16-2011, 9:18 AM

You can run a report called "Data Retention Forecase and Compliance" on the storage policies used by this library and you can see exactly why jobs are not being aged and that should tell you what can be done to change it.

Depending on your settings its possible jobs are not being pruned if the copy has not been run and if this is the case then setting them to DO NOT COPY will allow them to be pruned.  (again, the report should confirm this)

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 08-16-2011, 9:44 AM

Report shows a crazy amount of jobs saying "Not_Copied", loads of them have estimated ageing dates that have passed.

I guess I can set these to "Do not copy"

Posted: 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM

When you use managed disk space, Simpana will NOT purge the jobs even if the threshold has been reach if:

1- The backup retention isn't met (lets say you configured to keep 7 years of backups on disk, it will not purge until the disk threshold has been reached AND the job is 7 years old)

2- The storage policy has a secondary copy which has not yet been copied yet (see http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/data_aging/data_aging_advanced.htm#Data_Aging_of_Copies)

So, setting them to "Do not copy" will obviously allow you to purge data. On the other hand, if you start your copy, you'll be able to purge data as each job copy completes.

Phil

Posted: 09-10-2011, 1:14 PM

Run AUX Copies to purge the data. NOT_COPIED means the jobs haven't been copied from primary to aux.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy