Incr backup fails with "checking if the index is in cache"

Last post 03-20-2014, 11:04 PM by Ali. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Incr backup fails with "checking if the index is in cache"
    Posted: 09-20-2012, 3:41 AM

Hi There

I'm having some trouble with different client types where the client some times on incr backup fails with "checking if the index is in cache".

I can stop the backup and run a full backup, then the incr runs again.

I can't seem to find a pattern on when it fails. I have seen NDMP and HyperV backup fail. Both with and without snapprotect.

The setup is simple: 1 Comcell also running the MediaAgent

Do any one else have this problem ?

Have a nice day,

Henrik

• Re: Incr backup fails with "checking if the index is in cache"
    Posted: 09-20-2012, 9:52 AM

Henrik,

Please check the Windows Event logs for any errors or if any application is crashing.  Is AV software installed on this machine?  If so, please make sure the Index Cache directory is filtered out.

JW

Posted: 09-25-2012, 5:46 AM

Hi

There are no events in the eventviewer explaining the problem. Antivirus is installed, but all the drives used by commvualt DB's and indexes are skipped.

I have seen this problem in 2 other customers also, there must be someelse having the same problem ?

Have a nice day,

Henrik

Posted: 03-17-2014, 12:21 AM

Yes, I've seen this error too:

Error Code: [19:1047] Description: Checking if the index is in cache.

It's an Oracle RMAN backup (Selective Online Full) on a Solaris 10 server (it's in a zone) with the media agent being the Solaris global zone.  (IE nothing to do with AV)

Strangely, the job appears to still be running though, so I'm not sure if it's caused a problem with the backup.  I can't find any reference to it in the jobs log files.  I wish these errors were better documented! 

Posted: 03-17-2014, 2:06 AM

Could you please let me know how did you configure indexcache, is it local or remote ?

Posted: 03-17-2014, 9:53 AM

Jairam

I'm assuming your running incrementals daily?

A couple of things to check could be the index retention configuand the physical space available. It could be that certain indexes are being pruned off quicker than you would imagine.

Posted: 03-17-2014, 6:48 PM

Local cache.

It's a Unix server, and so there isn't much space for index cache, so adm_hap could be right that the index cache is being pruned too fast.  But on the other hand, I'm not doing incrementals, I'm doing Oracle selective online fulls

Posted: 03-18-2014, 5:05 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-17-2019, 10:21 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

Hmmm...   Oracle backups do not use indexing unless the "Table browse" option is selected in the subclient options. 

Also, there recently WAS a problem detected with V8 Oracle clients getting indexing errors on a V10 Commserver.  This was patched with a hotfix on top of SP5b, but SP6 is right around the corner, and that should contain the "official" update for that issue.

Is the problem with the selective online full backup consistent or intermittent?

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hello Henrik, hope you are well.

Please log an Incident with Support, we'd be happy to look into the root cause.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy