CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Service Pack 9a updates to Linux problem

Last post 04-19-2013, 3:16 AM by haszak. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Service Pack 9a updates to Linux problem
    Posted: 04-06-2013, 9:46 PM

Hi

Tried doing 9a update to my clients today and started getting alerts running out of disk space
    when i checked Simpana was coping all the Service packs from all platforms  onto every linux client..

as a result of this the update fails when it runs out of space

Why is this happening and how can i stop it ?

• Re: Service Pack 9a updates to Linux problem
    Posted: 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Hi Haszak,

It sounds like you may have a schedule for install updates someplace in your environment.  To check this, right click on the CommServe name choose View > Schedules.  Under Type look for Install Updates.  Then you can right click the schedule, and choose disable.

Posted: 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Its not that ... Maybe my explanation wasn't to clear.

I did a manual update of all my clients right click on client group example (Linux servers) select all task > Add/Remove software > Install Updates...

This works fine.  My problem is that each and everyone of my 128 linux servers had all the service packs for all platforms copied to it as if each of them is a software cache

so a service pack update where the packed file is 800MB in size caused a copy onto my clients of 7 GB.

Posted: 04-08-2013, 4:38 PM

Hello,

If you go to Client properties and check the Version tab, what options are set under Cache Source: and Store Updates Locally:?  If it is set to CommServe, do you have the same issue?

JW

Posted: 04-08-2013, 4:46 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 08-01-2014, 7:32 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Oceanport NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 941
    • Commvault Global Group

Interesting dilemma...   Can you check the control panel to make sure that these linux servers didn't somehow get configured as remote update cache servers?  That would be the only reason I can think of that would cause ALL service packs to get uploaded to these servers.   I have run a number of push installs to a number of Unix & Linux systems (Many of which are VERY tight on space) and have yet to encounter this issue.

If these systems are NOT configured as remote caches, then you may want to open a TR with support.   They would need the Commserver logs as well as the commserver database uploaded as well.

Also, in case you want to investigate this further on your end...   there is a log on the commserver called DistributeSoftware.log.  Take a look in that log, when the "push" was running to see exactly what the CommServer was pushing to the Linux clients.

One last thought...   Could it be possibe that there may be corruption in the cache on the commserver?  One last thing you could try (This will take some time) would be to clear out the contents of the cache, and run a fresh "clean" download of all the service packs to the commserver, and then try pushing the service pack again.   (This will take some time to run though) Undecided

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Technical Lead/Analyst
    Posted: 04-19-2013, 3:16 AM

Hi

Thnx for the response... I did check only got one software cache.

Got a open ticket with commvault now. They want to do a remote session to see if they can find the problem.

Hope to get it resolved soon.

R

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy