CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Restore 11g Oracle to duplicate DB (different host) - unable to proceed due to database status 'unknown'

Last post 07-25-2013, 7:45 PM by AndyT. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Restore 11g Oracle to duplicate DB (different host) - unable to proceed due to database status 'unknown'
    Posted: 07-24-2013, 12:19 AM
    I have a similar problem to the guy in this thread from last year, which was abandoned because he found it was a non-Oracle issue. Hence I am starting a new thread.

http://forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/23526.aspx

I am unable to initiate the recovery because CommVault cannot recognise the status of the database when it is in NOMOUNT - it displays UNKNOWN instead of STARTED.
    I have tried every possible permutation of parameters in the Listener.ora file, including the Static entry for the destination database. My Listener.ora file is:

==============================
    LISTENER=
    (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS_LIST=
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=myhost.mydom.co.nz)(PORT=1521))
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=extproc))))
    SID_LIST_LISTENER=
    (SID_LIST=
    (SID_DESC=
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME=MYDB.mydom.co.nz)
    (ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1)
    (SID_NAME=MYDB))
    (SID_DESC=
    (SID_NAME=plsextproc)
    (ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1)
    (PROGRAM=extproc)))

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = /u01/oracle

ENABLE_GLOBAL_DYNAMIC_ENDPOINT_LISTENER = ON

SECURE_REGISTER_LISTENER= (IPC)
    ==============================

I have included (UR = A) parameter in the destination TNSNAMES.ORA file.

I am using a connect string system/***@mydb in the GUID
    nb I am able to make CommVault see the status as STARTED only if I remove the connect string and use / but then the restore fails due to "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

I suspect the issue is due to the LISTENER.ORA not being configured correctly, but I have run out of things to try.
    Any help gratefully received.
    thanks
    Andy
  • Re: Restore 11g Oracle to duplicate DB (different host) - unable to proceed due to database status 'unknown'
    Posted: 07-24-2013, 8:57 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 10-22-2014, 1:23 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Oceanport NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 971
    • Commvault Global Group

Enable the ClOraAgent debugging by adding the following to the /etc/CommVaultRegistry/Galaxy/Instance001/OracleAgent/.properties file:

sCLORAAGENT Y

Then hit refresh on the GUI.   This will provide MUCH MORE logging in the clOraAgent.log file on the client.  In there you should get a clear error message to why there is an unknown status in the GUI...   TNS error logon error...  etc.  From that we should be able to determine the cause of the problem.

Give that a try and look for the error in the log.  Let us know what you find.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Technical Lead/Analyst
  • Re: Restore 11g Oracle to duplicate DB (different host) - unable to proceed due to database status 'unknown'
    Posted: 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Hi Andy,

The ORA-12154 error that you received indicates a problem in the tnsnames.ora on the destination client. Can you double-check the destination tnsnames.ora file, or paste the relevant entry here? Also reload the listener and restart the duplicate db instance in NOMOUNT mode.

Once you are able to connect to the duplicate db instance via sqlplus system/***@mydb on the destination client the restore should go through.

Posted: 07-24-2013, 9:17 PM

Thanks for the swift response guys.

I think the TNSNAMES entry was incorrect so I fixed that and the database now correctly shows as STARTED. 

However, now the restore won't proceed due to a TNS error. I've attached the relevant content from the clOraAgent.log (too much to post in the the thread). 

RMAN> 
    connected to recovery catalog database
    RMAN>
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
    connected to auxiliary database: CVTEST (not mounted)

Any further assistance gratefully received.

thanks

A

nb the entry in the TNSNAMES file on the destination is:

CVTEST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DNVODB23.MYDOM.CO.NZ)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = CVTEST)
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (UR = A)
    )
    )
    Attachment: clOraAgent.txt
    Posted: 07-25-2013, 8:27 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 10-22-2014, 1:23 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Oceanport NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 971
    • Commvault Global Group

From what I see, you are connecting successfuly to the recovery catalog, as well as the Auxiliary instance (CVTEST) but are failing to connect to the target (source DB) due to a TNS error.   If you log on to the auxiliary server, can you connect to the source (target) database? 

Try this from command line, start an rman session, then issue the following commands:

RMAN> connect catalog account/password@catalog

RMAN> connect auxiliary account/password@CVTEST

RMAN> connect sys/password@targetdb

I'll bet that the third connect fails with the same TNS error.   Make sure that the tnsnames.ora on the auxilary server contains the appropriate entries to resolve the  target database on the source server.

Let us know how you make out.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Technical Lead/Analyst
    Posted: 07-25-2013, 7:45 PM

Thanks Ernst, Davis.

The problem was indeed with the TNS connection from auxiliary db back to target db. I just needed to add a TNS alias (without the .world extension) and it worked fine.

Now I have to iron out the problems in the pfile on the auxiliary db and I'll be done. That's another story though :-)

Thanks so much for the concise, professional and above all speedy response(s).

regards

Andy

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy