Exchange 2007 Disaster test restore

Last post 11-30-2010, 5:18 PM by SuziF. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange 2007 Disaster test restore
    Posted: 11-30-2010, 6:29 AM

We are curently doing a disaster test and trying to recover Exchange 2007.  The restore seems to restore the SG with the correct data but it fails at the end.  The error is "failed to initialize XML".  Can you give some idea's to look at.  Are we possibly not using the restore options correctly?  Any pointers would help.  Thanks

Just another uodate would this have anything to do with the fact we are trying to restore to a single node cluster.  We are restoring to a single node ccr cluster which was brought back using the /recovercms.   We are getting ESE454 unable to recover  error-510

• Re: Exchange 2007 Disaster test restore
    Posted: 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Are you able to mount the database after the restore is completed?  I have seen this issue in the past, but only in a scenario where the DB has been completely removed from AD.  I'm assuming, in your DR setting, you have already completely recovered AD in advance of doing this restore?  Could you upload the extidbrestore.log file along with the application event logs from the restore destination?

Posted: 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Are you trying to do an in-place restore or an out of place restore ?

The first place to look for an error would be in the Windows Application event logs.  There may be an error from Exchange, ese or VSS giving a more specific reason for the failure

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 11-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Yes we can mount the database.

AD was restored prior to do Exchange restores.

Having trouble uploading files

Yes we are doing in-place restores.

The error we see in event log ESE454 -510

Attachment: exTiDbRestore.zip
    Posted: 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM

here is the other file...  could you let me know if you got them and can open them please

Attachment: EXC07 App log.zip
    Posted: 11-30-2010, 4:26 PM

When the restore was performed of the OS level, were any files restored into the Exchange data or log directories?  It looks like data might have been restored back into those areas, which caused the restore job to try to replay additional logs on top of just the restored log files.  In the end I saw this -

Information Store (3680) USPHL0708_SG01: Unable to write a shadowed header for file E:\Exchange Data Files\USPHL0708_SG01\USPHL0708_SG01TL\System\E00.chk. Error -1023.

Posted: 11-30-2010, 4:32 PM

We did not do any OS level restore.  We are only doing a recovery with the Exchange iDataAgent.  We also made certain that there were no log or chk files present in the log directory prior to the execution of the restore.  That unable to write shadowed header is the same error it gets for every .log file that it restores, it's like it is locking the file when VSS tries to replay it.

Posted: 11-30-2010, 5:16 PM

I think we need a support case to look over this closely.  I do not believe I have seen this issue before.

Posted: 11-30-2010, 5:18 PM

ok thanks just a quick question do i have to resend the logs?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy