Office 365 / Exchange Online back-up

Last post 1 hour, 33 minutes ago by tcottrell. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Office 365 / Exchange Online back-up
    Posted: 09-14-2018, 9:05 AM

Hi,

What are the main steps to configure a backup of Office 365 / Exchange Online. New installation, newest of everything, Commvault 11 SP12. I find the current documentation confusing.

What I have figured out until now is something like:

* Install Mailbox Agent and Outlook on a server

* Run a couple of powershell commands

* Configure this or that

I miss details and a complete picture.

Thanks!

• Re: Office 365 / Exchange Online back-up
    Posted: 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Hello iConsultant,

Out Office 365 support has greatly improved with each service pack.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=92825.htm

You will need to create an Exchange Index Server and need a way to authenticate your serivce account (On-Premise or Azure Acitve Directory).

We require the PowerShell execution policy be set to 'RemoteSigned' and the service account to have access to the mailboxes you wish to backup.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=92834.htm

Then just configure the New Mailbox iDA and start running your backups!

Feel free to reply if you have any other questions.

Posted: 09-17-2018, 7:58 AM

Hi,

If I want to keep things simple stupid -only backups and restores of e-mails, no Search, no Content Indexing, no Compliance, no Archiving- do I then still need an Index Server?

Thanks

Posted: 09-17-2018, 9:16 AM

No, that is only used when Journal Mailbox method is used

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 09-17-2018, 9:54 AM

Actually that is not accurate.  The Index Server is always required with the new mailbox agent.  Please make sure you are looking at the latest documentation when scoping out the index server.  The more recent documentation updates have provided better guidelines into sizing in small/medium type environments.

Posted: 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM

My apologies, you are correct.

Forgot that the MA's index cache for mailbox has transitioned to SOLR

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 4 hours, 4 minutes ago

I recently installed a "Exchange Mailbox (Classic)" Agent, and I am not aware of any Index server needed. All works fine.

Only when I try to do something with mailbox restore from the Admin Console, it suddenly asks for an Index server.

However I didn't use the "New Client" Exchange Mailbox option, so probably an old version of the Mailbox Agent.

Posted: 3 hours, 40 minutes ago

That's why it does not ask for an index server, the legacy agent does not require one. It seems the admin console however is only working according to the new method.

I am wondering if you are now backing up over MAPI then also, because then you will not have the faster transfer rates as used in the new agent setup.

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

Highly recommend using the new MB agent.  As new features are built out (like support for Exchange agents in the Admin Console) it is only done with the new MB agent in mind.  As noted above, the MB (Classic) agent does NOT require the Index Server.  You will not, however, be able to utilize the Admin Console though, as it is not supported for MB Classic.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy