Upgrading OS on Media Agents

Last post 11-27-2019, 1:34 PM by Liam. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Upgrading OS on Media Agents
    Posted: 11-26-2019, 10:39 AM

We're in the process of knocking out the prereqs for an upgrade from v10 -> v11.  One of the big issues is that most of our Media Agents are on Windows 2008 r2.  All of these media agents are on physical hosts in remote locations.  

I found the documentation here - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=7690.htm

This looks pretty straightforward.  Basically backup the DDB, stop jobs, disable any libs connected to it, disable backup/restore, stop services, disable media agent, then install new OS.  Then it's just start services and enable everything.

We would also take a system state backup of this media agent server before trying any of this obviously.

I just want to know if there are any gotchas or anything else that I need to think about for this.  Being that these are in remote locations, it makes me a little more cautious about handling upgrades.

• Re: Upgrading OS on Media Agents
    Posted: 11-26-2019, 11:14 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,777

I wouldn't recommend moving to an MA on a 2008 platform as they are no longer supported after SP12 on v11 due to inconsistent performance. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=1479.htm

End of Support for Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2

Newer versions of Windows include important performance, stability, and reliability improvements. Therefore, new installations on Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 are not supported for the following Commvault platforms:

• CommServe
    • MediaAgent
    • Web Console
    • Web Server
    • Workflow
    • Metrics Report
    • Search Engine and Analytics

Support for existing deployments is now discontinued. You should plan to upgrade the operating system in the near future, to maintain supportability and to take advantage of the improvements offered with newer versions of Windows.

Posted: 11-26-2019, 12:13 PM

Correct.  Sorry I should have stated that we want to upgrade to Windows 2016.  Not just reinstall 2008 again.

Posted: 11-27-2019, 1:34 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,777

Plan looks fine. Call Support if you have any issues during the rebuild process. 

https://ma.commvault.com/Article/Details/53075

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy