Failed to restore SAP HANA after copying the database from the backup

Last post 12-02-2019, 6:16 PM by efg. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Failed to restore SAP HANA after copying the database from the backup
    Posted: 11-19-2019, 8:05 AM
    Hello,
    We were faced with an interesting situation regarding the restoration of a backup of the SAP HANA database.
    I would like to understand if this is the logic of Commvault or is it a software bug?
    We use a lot of SAP S/HANA systems.
    To back up the databases of these systems, we use Commvault 11 SP17.9.
    We set up backup jobs, storage policies, etc.
    Often we use the function of copying the database of one system to another using Commvault. (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=22394.htm)
    I will pass on to the details.
    1. Two hosts are deployed - saps4sbxdb02 and saps4sbxdb03 with SUSE SLES 12 SP4 for SAP.
    2. SAP HANA (2.00.037.00.1552531011) was installed on saps4sbxdb02 host. Backup agents have been configured
    3. SAP HANA (2.00.037.00.1552531011) was installed on saps4sbxdb03 host. Backup agents have been configured
    4. A full backup was made for each system. Log backup is performed at intervals of every 15 minutes.
    5. We are copying the TS3 database to TS2. For example, at time 15:00. Copying is successful.
    6. We want to return the data of the TS2 base before the moment of copying, i.e. we restore TS2 at 14:55 (for an example).We know for sure that we have a full backup that was made several hours ago (before copying the database), as well as logs of database TS2. That is, Commvault has all the necessary conditions to perform a restore. But recovery fails.
    Error

It is clear that this situation can be avoided by performing a full backup of TS2 before copying data from TS3 to it. But I don’t understand why I can’t recover using the old full backup and TS2 database logs?

• Re: Failed to restore SAP HANA after copying the database from the backup
    Posted: 11-19-2019, 8:35 AM

Hi,

CAn you do "Discover databases" operation on both TS2 and TS3 and try the restore again?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Posted: 11-19-2019, 9:03 AM

Sunil Telagamsetti:

Hi,

CAn you do "Discover databases" operation on both TS2 and TS3 and try the restore again?

Thanks,

Sunil-

It does not help

Posted: 12-02-2019, 6:16 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 12-06-2019, 8:50 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,687

Hi,

I have a question...   when you are attempting to restore the original tennant DB back (in-place) are you going to the "Advanced" settings and restoring the catalog as well?   Keep in mind that when you performed the "cross-restore" database copy, the catalog from that tenent would also have been restored (overwriting the original catalog).  So that catalog would not have any information on the recovery of the original DB.  Take a look at the "Advanced" restore options.  There you will find a "Catalog restore" tab that allows you to also restore the catalog from the original DB.

Let us know if that helps.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy