Extending retention of Performace Metric log files

Last post 03-26-2020, 5:58 AM by JesWagner. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Extending retention of Performace Metric log files
    Posted: 02-21-2020, 4:08 AM
    • JesWagner is not online. Last active: 26 Mar 2020, 7:37 AM JesWagner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2018
    • Danish Broadcasting Corporation, Copenhagen
    • Newcomer
    • Points 12

I need to keep the Performance Metrics log files longer that the default 7 days.

/etc/CommVaultRegistry/Galaxy/Instance001/EventManager/.properties has two settings which may determine how long the files are kept:

PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsInDays_Default 7
    PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsTill_DEFAULT 604800

What is the purpose of the two settings? To me it looks like they cover the same. Does one take precedence over the other?

I could change both of them of course... but I'd like to know....

• Re: Extending retention of Performace Metric log files
    Posted: 02-23-2020, 3:40 AM

Hi JesWagner

From the looks of the path that you have shared this is a UNIX/LINUX client. With any UNIX/LINUX clients when increasing the default logging this will usually be done via Additional Settings on the Client (via the CommServe), and these values will be inheritted directly in the registry (i.e. /etc/CommVaultRegistry/Galaxy/Instance001/EventManager/.properties). 

It looks like for the PerformanceMetrics it will be retained base on:

• 7 Days worth of logging 
    • And size up to 604800
    You can increase the PerformanceMetrics logging using the following addiitonal setting:
    • PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsInDays_Default
    • Category - EventManager
    • Type - Integer 
    • Value - whatever amount you require
    I would recommend to increase this via the Additional setting options, so user can remove it after troubleshooting is done

Regards

Winston
    Posted: 02-23-2020, 5:20 PM

Hi JesWagner, the log durations are the same. For almost all cicrumstances you would only be setting the PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsInDays (via the CommServe) and you just set the days as you wish.  The seconds variant are for those very few customers who don't want whole days.

As to which takes precedence, if you want you can give it a try and let us know but the reality is you are likely to leave PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsTill_DEFAULT commented out.

Posted: 02-24-2020, 1:51 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2018
    • Newcomer
    • Points 12

This is strange. I change the vaules to:

PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsInDays_Default 28
    PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsTill_DEFAULT 2419200

I then restart Commvault on the media agent.

I then look at the .properties file and one of the settings has been reverted:

PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsInDays_Default 7
    PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsTill_DEFAULT 2419200

I guess I should open a support case.

Posted: 02-24-2020, 2:01 AM
    If you modify the settings directly on the client and if they are different to the CommServe, then a restart of the client services will re-populate the settings set in the CommServe Console. Commvault also don't recommend you change them directly on the guest.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=8677.htm
    Posted: 02-24-2020, 2:15 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2018
    • Newcomer
    • Points 12

The problem is I don't find the PerformanceMetrics_RetainLogsInDays_Default setting in the Additional Settings of the CommServe or the media servers for that matter.

Posted: 03-01-2020, 1:52 AM

Hi JesWagner

I would recommend to engage Commvault Support to validate why the setting are getting reverted when added in "Additional Setting" and verify how to keep it persistent when attempting to increase the amount of days to retain the PerformanceMetrics

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 03-02-2020, 12:23 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2018
    • Newcomer
    • Points 12

Hi,

I already did. Support is chasing a solution.

Posted: 03-26-2020, 5:58 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2018
    • Newcomer
    • Points 12

A final update.

I got response from support on my ticket. There is no way to extend the retention of logfiles.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy