Newbie Question: Clarification of Terms

Last post 09-06-2020, 10:14 PM by ddwyer. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Newbie Question: Clarification of Terms
    Posted: 09-04-2020, 4:16 PM

Hey, all, this is probably a very basic question, but I wanted to check with folks who probably know.

Commvault uses many terms internally that have different uses/meanings in many other clients/environments.  One I'm very cautious about here is how it uses 'archiving'.  I am attempting to create a backup of an Exchange 2013 mailbox store, but Commvault use of archiving seems dramatically different from Microsoft's, so I wanted to confirm that I understand their usage here.

I have created a Client Computer that is the Exchange Mailbox server, with the usermailbox having been auto-generated as the sub-client.  I have an Exchange Backup Archiving Policy configured under Configuration Policies with a start date of today.  I have a storage policy configured for the Mailbox. I have created an index server and access node.

But the use of the term 'archiving' makes me nervous.  Is that simply how Commvault refers to backing up a user mailbox?  I realize that it can clear the mailbox based on policy settings (which I have turned off), but in Exchange an Archive Mailbox is a term of art and I just want to make sure that it has no relation to what Commvault means. I don't want my clients to suddenly find their user mailboxes empty after a backup job.

On a related note, I'm not actually sure how to start the backup of the user mailboxes, despite having all these policies, sub-clients, servers and related items.  To be honest, I'm beginning to think that Commvault may be too big a solution for our relatively small company. It clearly is designed to scale to huge installations, but I really just want a consistent system to reliably backup my reltaively small infrastructure.

Regardless, any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Re: Newbie Question: Clarification of Terms
    Posted: 09-06-2020, 10:14 PM

Hi Dru,

The CV use of Archiving in relation to the Exchange Mailbox client here refers to a backup in the normal sense. The data will be protected, but nothing will be removed from the mailbox. If you wanted to enable stubbing or deletion of email based on criteria you would do this with a cleanup policy and by running a cleanup job. 

Note that Archiving in the older mailbox agents (Exchange Mailbox (Classic) with OnePass, Exchange Mailbox Archiver) would refer to a job that would backup and cleanup items based on criteria. In V11 there was a switch to refer to the protection operation as an archive and the removal of data from the mailbox as a cleanup.

David

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy