CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Deleting Updates manually

Last post 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM by Liam. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Deleting Updates manually
    Posted: 08-16-2011, 8:28 AM

Hi, I'm in a Catch22 - We have a client computer which only has a 12GB C:\ drive! I have added the dUPDATEEXPIRY reg key with a value of 30 to this client via the Commcell. The problem is now that there's not enough space to run an install updates job in order for the older updates to be expired, as per the reg key.

In order to clear space, can folders within C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\Updates\ be manually deleted?

• Re: Deleting Updates manually
    Posted: 08-16-2011, 8:31 AM

There are several other threads here with similar questions and the answer is going to basically be the same.  It is very highly discouraged to delete anything in the Updates folder since it would prevent you from rolling back updates if the need arises. 

Is it possible to move the updates folder to another drive with more space ?

If all our national holidays were observed on Wednesdays, we could wind up with nine-day weekends
    -- George Carlin
    Posted: 08-16-2011, 8:37 AM

Yes, I can move the folder to the D:\ drive. Is there a particualr method for doing this?

I realise I have to change the updates path on the Version tab in the properties of the client. But will that only apply to future updates? So i manually move existing ones from C: to D: ?

Posted: 08-16-2011, 8:43 AM

If possible, if you have room on the D: drive, I would uninstall and then reinstall Commvault on the D: drive. That will prevent future issues with log space and such.

Posted: 08-16-2011, 9:04 AM

I see, you're suggesting reinstalling CV, rather than just relocating updates. Yeah, I guess other CV related files take up space too.

Posted: 08-16-2011, 9:24 AM

I have had problems with space issues like this in that past. Now I only install on the same drive as the OS if I have no choice. Makes things a lot easier.

Posted: 08-16-2011, 11:29 AM

During restore jobs, the JobResults folder of the agent can grow very large. It will keep a copy of all the files that are currently in use by Windows and that will need to be overwritten on the next reboot. This usually happens when you do a system state restore. So, while moving the updates folder work for now, you might run into similar space issue if you ever need to do a big restore on the box. You could also move the JobResults folder to your D drive but at that point,it might be just easier to go with Chet's recommendation of reinstalling the agent on the D drive. Since you can push it through the GUI, this shouldn't be very painful to do anyway.

Phil

Posted: 08-17-2011, 6:21 AM

I've uninstalled Commvault (had to do so using QIUninstallAll.exe for some reason). I've got back 2GB on C:\ which is good. It has left behind C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\Base\ which has some files in it totalling 210MB. It did say at the end of the uninstall it was going to remove all files and folders, so not sure why this is still there, but only 210MB so not too worried.

Now I'm reinstalling CV on the client and have chose D:\ as the destination. Despite this, the Summary page is telling me:

Job results folder path = C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\iDataAgent\JobResults.

Should this not be D:\ too? Or must job results always reside on C:\?

Posted: 08-17-2011, 7:52 AM

It should be D: as well and should have been a choice during the install. You can change it manually in the properties of the server in the GUI, you may also need to change it in the registry on the server but changing it in the GUI should work.

Posted: 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM

the installer is picking up C:\ from the existing entry in the database, similar to when it asks if you want to use the same stoage policy as previously assigned. manually change during the install, change in the GUI then install or change in post, are all user preference.

the leftover commvault folder from the previous install should be safe to remove

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy