Enhancement to our GUI for client grouping

Last post 08-19-2010, 1:42 AM by AMJ. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Enhancement to our GUI for client grouping
    Posted: 07-08-2010, 2:35 PM

I am at a site now that has a very complicated internal security layout. There are are large number of cells of servers in isolated firewalled "rooms" with their own MA.

It can be difficult to remember which MA to use to backup a particular server. The server names are not very descriptive.

My thought is to extend the Client Computer Group section in our GUI so that a user can easily tell that one of the servers in the group is an MA.

Maybe a sub-tree would work, or perhaps alter the server icon slightly. We already alter the icon if a server does not have the file system iDA installed on it, there is a small triangle with a ! in it. Also we alter the icon if the server is a cluster VM. We turn the icon yellow in that case.

If we were to alter the icon if the server has the MA installed on it that might do the job.

However given the choice a sub-tree in the client computer group would be the most usable option that I can think of.

• Re: Enhancement to our GUI for client grouping
    Posted: 07-11-2010, 9:34 PM
    Would it help if you renamed the client name within commvault?

Client name can be seperate from the client host name to help bring some meaning to your MA's

I have a customer that does this
    i.e. ahfwefs0129 - MA - hosting platform 1 (when hostname is ahfwefs0129.some.internal.name)
    Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM

I have dealt with the firewalled MA and servers before, but typically  the Security teams involved are ok with opening up ports 8400-8402 that are needed. Is this possible. That way you can just use your MA's and not have to keep up with who is on what.

Posted: 08-04-2010, 1:15 PM

I think the sub tree is a great idea.  It would help us recreate the logical subgrouping that we already have in our monitoring environment.

Posted: 08-19-2010, 1:42 AM

I agree - being able to add subtree's would be very useful. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy