Auxiliary copy fails. auxCopyMgr.exe crashing

Last post 07-29-2010, 3:15 PM by iikingli. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Auxiliary copy fails. auxCopyMgr.exe crashing
    Posted: 07-19-2010, 1:12 PM

A few days ago our auxiliary copy stoped working. 

Originally the Comcell console error description said "loss of control process auxcopymgr.exe..." I forgot to write the error code down. 

Lately, when the auxiliary copy tries to run, it's just stuck on "Pending" and the reason is "Please check the log files for this job for more details."  And the logs really didn't say much.

When the problem initially started happening, Windows event viewer said "Faulting application auxCopyMgr.exe, version 8.0.68.0, faulting module AuxCopyMgrLib.dll, version 8.0.68.0, fault address 0x0004c79b."

Now it says "Faulting application AuxCopyMgr.exe, version 8.0.68.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.4455, fault address 0x0001a3e1"

Anyone have any ideas?

• Re: Auxiliary copy fails. auxCopyMgr.exe crashing
    Posted: 07-19-2010, 1:22 PM

FST,

I would make sure that you have applied all the updates to that media agent where you are seeing the crash. If you are still getting the errors you can attempt to remove all updates using removeupdates.exe from the base directory where cvlt is installed and if still having the issues open a ticket with support.

Posted: 07-19-2010, 2:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.  I uninstalled the binary updates and the problem still exists.  I submitted a ticket. 

I did find the actual error though.  It's:

Error Code:  [19:599]
    Description:  Loss of control process auxCopyMgr.exe.  Possible causes:  1.  The control process has unexpectedly died.  Check dr watson log or core file.  2.  The communication to the control process machine server.domain.net might have goine down due to network errors.  3.  If the machine server.domain.net is a cluster, it may have failed over.  4.  the machine server.domain.net may have rebooted.

Posted: 07-19-2010, 2:23 PM

After you remove the updates you should reapply, than see if the error is still occuring. Yes that is the 'generic' message its just showing that the process crashed. Good Luck!

Posted: 07-19-2010, 2:27 PM

Thank you for the info!  I will give this a shot and see what happens.

Posted: 07-19-2010, 5:37 PM

Hello FST,  Not sure who you are working with.  Please ask them about update 18279.  This update has not fully released to the general public yet but it may address the issue you are having. 

Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Hello FST,  Are you still troubleshooting this issue with one of our Engineers?  Did you mention update 18279 to the Engineer you are working with? Thanks

Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-29-2010, 3:15 PM

FST:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I uninstalled the binary updates and the problem still exists.  I submitted a ticket. 

I did find the actual error though.  It's:

Error Code:  [19:599]
    Description:  Loss of control process auxCopyMgr.exe.  Possible causes:  1.  The control process has unexpectedly died.  Check dr watson log or core file.  2.  The communication to the control process machine server.domain.net might have goine down due to network errors.  3.  If the machine server.domain.net is a cluster, it may have failed over.  4.  the machine server.domain.net may have rebooted.

FST,

The Error Code and description that you are reffering to is a generic code used several of the commvault iDA's, for a more descriptive look into the issue you may want to check in the CVMA, CVD and EvMgC logs for starters which are located in the logs directory under /program files/commvault/simpana/log files

There are several general reasons that your Aux Copy will fail, usually it will have to do with an update, also you may want ensure your box is patched as well.  The other key note to remember is before you bounce that box (if applicable) ensure that you stop the commvault services and open task manager to ensure the Dedup database process has stopped (SIDB2) if not you will corrupt your dedup store which will cause it to Seal.

Good Luck

David King
    Data Protection Product Manger Peak10

Former CommVault Engineer

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy