CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Java ver 7 Update 7 Not Working

Last post 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM by Jesse. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Java ver 7 Update 7 Not Working
    Posted: 09-07-2012, 4:21 AM

Hi Guys,

Does anyone of you experience Commvault 9.0 SP 7a not working Java 1.7_X ? Is it a known bug?

I have updated mine to the latest Java version and caused the Commcell not to work. I have to revert back.

Thanks!

• Re: Java ver 7 Update 7 Not Working
    Posted: 09-07-2012, 9:38 AM

Hello,

Yes, Development is working on a patch for this.  The issue is that SE 7u7 is sensitive to ? characters appearing in the href attribute of the JNLP tag.

JW

Posted: 09-07-2012, 9:42 AM

Ok Thanks. I wonder if it will be already included in the next Service Pack as when I try to access the Commcell Console using the latest java version, it does nothing.

Posted: 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Hello,

We do not have an ETA on when this patch will be available, however you can try the workaround below which is not certified yet but has worked in the lab.  Please ensure you backup your .jnlp files before making any changes.

SE 7u7 is sensitive to ? characters appearing in the href attribute of the jnlp tag:

<jnlp codebase="http://devsrv.testlab.commvault.com:81/console/" href="Default.asp?jnlp=galaxy.jnlp">

This is probably a bug in the java update, but there is an easy workaround. Replace the “?” with “&#063;” like so:

<jnlp codebase="http://devsrv.testlab.commvault.com:81/console/" href="Default.asp&#063;jnlp=galaxy.jnlp">

If a customer is in a hurry to resolve the issue, they can edit the *.jnlp files in the GUI\Web\Console\JNLP-Template directory and make that change.

JW

Posted: 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Hi JW,

How can I found that ".jnlp" file? How can i modify it? Also, is it safe to modify it?

Posted: 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM

I'm the one that found this bug and brought it to the attention of CommVault just so you know that I know what I'm talking about.  The other solution that I had shown CommVault's support when I discovered this bug is to download a copy of the JNLP file and change the character encoding from ANSI to UTF-8 (as it's supposed to be).  The problem with the ? character causes the JNLP file encoding to be incorrect, which breaks the installation of the CommCell Console GUI Java app.  Once the applet is "installed" you also have to change the file the shortcut icon points to from ANSI to UTF-8 in order for the shortcut to work.

Posted: 09-07-2012, 1:23 PM

Hello,

You can modify it from the GUI\Web\Console\JNLP-Template directory.  I would recommend backing up the JNLP files prior to modifying them.

JW

Posted: 09-07-2012, 2:44 PM

Just to make sure it doesn't go unsaid, even if you edit the JNLP file on the server, to replace the "?" with "&#063;", the shortcut that gets created by the "installation" will still need to be fixed in the same way (or by way of modifying the character encoding to be UTF-8 and leaving the "?" alone).  Either way will work - you can mix-and-match fixes without consequence - but to be uniform I'd suggest using only 1 method for both files: change the encoding to UTF-8 or modify the header tag to replace the "?" with "&#063;".  The choice is yours.

Posted: 09-10-2012, 6:00 AM

Thanks to both of you! It is now working fine.

Btw, where can I find the shortcut file to edit it? I just modified the JNLP files from my server.

Posted: 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM

vmendoza03:

Thanks to both of you! It is now working fine.

Btw, where can I find the shortcut file to edit it? I just modified the JNLP files from my server.

Right-click the Simpana shortcut and view the properties.  In the target field you'll see that there's an .EXE file being called and then a path after it.  The path after the .EXE is what you want.  The end of the path is the actual file itself, so if you simply open Notepad - click File - click Open - and paste the exact path you saw in the shortcut's target field (without the .EXE) you should be able to edit it.  The path does change slightly from computer-to-computer and the actual file name changes as it's some kind of a hash, but here's an example of the path so you know roughly what you're looking for:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\45\3769f46d-4706263f"

(the "3769f46d-4706263f" part is the actual file... it is NOT a directory... and it will be different than what yours is most likely)

Posted: 09-11-2012, 1:18 AM

Got it! Thanks for your help and have a good day :)

Posted: 09-11-2012, 9:05 AM

No problem at all.

Thanks.  You too.

Posted: 10-15-2012, 1:51 PM

thanks for this information!  Fixed my GUI issues after Java 7 was pushed to my desktop

AW

Posted: 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM

No problem.  Happy to help.

Posted: 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM

I'm posting this just for a reference point and to make sure there's no wondering about whether the releases of Java after 7 update 7 fix/address this problem.

I just finished installing Java 7 update 9, deleted all traces of the CommCell Console GUI from my computer, re-downloaded the JNLP file - without making any changes to it before or after - and tried to open the application.  The result: still not fixed.  The newest version of Java does address SOME issues with JNLP files and the reading of tags but [apparently] not this one.

The fixes listed above are still valid and should still be used until CommVault releases some sort of patch/hotfix for this problem or until Oracle releases a version of Java that isn't sensitive to the "?" character.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy