Exchange 2010 backups with a DAG and NetApp leaving disk volumes behind

Last post 11-20-2012, 5:19 PM by Patrick Dalton. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange 2010 backups with a DAG and NetApp leaving disk volumes behind
    Posted: 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM

We are running exchange 2010 3 servers with a Dag sever. We have netapp for the disk target. I do not have snap protect turned on. But we have a installed a VSS service from netapp to enable snap mirror down to our colo datacenter. When Commvalt performs the backup it uses the net app VSS service instead of the windows local VSS. I dont have a issue with this. The backup creates a flex clone from the netapp mounts it to the exchange sever and backs it up. Then the clone is removed. However if i go into disk manager on the windows sever Commvault is leaving a drive behind. We cant delete it and it wont mount up. On the netapp i show the clone was removed with no issue. Has anyone expeirenced this Commvault leaving a mapped drive. When i go into diskpart it sees the drive but its 1mb is size. 

• Re: Exchange 2010 backups with a DAG and NetApp leaving disk volumes behind
    Posted: 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Are you sure this drive is coming from the backup job?  The only reason i ask is because the drive having a 1mb size doesnt seem like it would be of any use.

can you dismount it with FSUTIL?

Posted: 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM

SnapDrive overrides the default vss provider on a machine which could cause unexpected behavior during our snap backups. use the following key on any node that performs a snapshot to use the Microsoft Provider instead

\MSExchangeDBAgent\nUseVSSSoftwareProvider

Type: DWORD

Value: 1

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 11-16-2012, 4:13 PM

Sorry the drive is 0mb is size. This does not happen alot as most backups run create the lun mount it back it up then remove it. We are just unsure as to why these are still hanging around. i have attached a screen shot.

Attachment: cmvsnap.jpg
    Posted: 11-20-2012, 5:19 PM

As Stephen said having a third party provider can cause unexpected results and at this time our dev staff does not support this.

you will need to use either snap protect or the reg key above to use the default msft provider.

CommVault Messaging Support
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy