CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Disk Libraries and Data Aging

Last post 11-20-2012, 4:31 AM by JayST. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Disk Libraries and Data Aging
    Posted: 11-19-2012, 9:23 PM

Hi All,

I am confused about the behaviour I am seeing in CommVault Simpana v9.0 SP8 with respect to data aging and disk libraries.

All of our storage policies have the option ticked for "Enable Managed Disk Space for disk data".  This seems like a no-brainer as my understanding is that it basically means "always satisfy retention rules but keep data for longer if there is space to do so".  This sounds like a good thing - might as well keep extra copies online if you can.

My understanding is that when this option is ticked, the Disk Library uses the "Thresholds for Managed Disk Space" to determine whether to age these "extra" copies (the ones that are outside of the normal retention policies).

I have set these thresholds to 80% and 60%.  I believe that if the Disk Library is more than 80% full, when the Data Aging job executes it should delete (age) data from the Disk Library until it is down to 60% full.  Of course, the data that it can delete must be data that is "allowed" to be deleted (ie, not covered by a retention policy).

So now the weird part - if I run a "Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report" I can see 100s of jobs which show up as green, and the "Reason for Not Aging" is "Managed Disk Space".  I thought this meant that all of these jobs can be deleted, and should be deleted IF the Disk Library is more than 80% full (the threshold I have set).

When I run a "Data Aging" job, none of these jobs are deleted.  My Disk Library is 98% full (well above the threshold).  Copy Jobs to one of my Disk Libraries are failing due to the Disk Library being full, even though the report shows there is HEAPS of data that could be deleted.

What the heck is going on here?  Am I missing something about how this works?  I could edit my Storage Policies and remove the "Enable Managed Disk Space for disk data" option and I'm sure this would all be fixed - but that doesn't explain the root cause of why this isn't working in the first place.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    David

• Re: Disk Libraries and Data Aging
    Posted: 11-20-2012, 4:31 AM

Unfortunately, i've seen this as happen as well.

Have not found a reason why this happened and could not explain why managed disk space would not prune when the disk was over 90% used threshold.

I did not have the time to go to support with this, so maybe someone else has some suggestions ?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy