On Demand Backupset

Last post 08-16-2010, 10:55 PM by kathy. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • On Demand Backupset
    Posted: 08-02-2010, 8:50 PM

We need to do some cleanup on our file servers and found that Outlook's archive.pst files are consuming 25% of available disk space on the user's personal drives.

I want to create a backup job that just targets these archive.pst files before we go through and delete these files.

I created a new retention policy and was starting to create the backupset.  I thought I would just create a some filters.  I saw the option for on demand backup set and thought perhaps this may be the better choice.

I've printed the documentation but would like to know if I am heading in the right direction.

The thing is that the .pst files are going to be in different locations depending on how the users created the Outlook archive.

Or would I do better to use exclusion/exception filters?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Re: On Demand Backupset
    Posted: 08-02-2010, 8:57 PM

I would like to throw out an alternative option here.  If you use our Mailbox Archiver product, we have tools which can discover, collect and stage .PST files so that they can be archived to offline media and then you can just delete the files.

I was guessing that you were referring to File System backups in your question, but perhaps this is a possible route for you ?

Wearer of Many Hats
  • Re: On Demand Backupset
    Posted: 08-16-2010, 10:55 PM

Sorry about the delay in responding. 

These .pst are located on our file server, would that make a difference?

We do have the Mailbox Archiver product.  Could you point me to the tools you are talking about?

Kathy

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy