CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Backing up Oracle

Last post 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM by efg. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backing up Oracle
    Posted: 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Hi guys,

I am trying to backup an Oracle database as part of E*Trade's Equity Edge software. When attempting to review the properties of the subclient, I am getting an error "Database view cannot be displayed. Please check if database is mounted".  I have attempted to check the status of Oracle under the General tab, and get an "Unknown" status. I have made myself a DBA account, I've configured the "Impersonate NT User" with my credentials and still no dice.

I'm fairly new to Commvault and very new to backing up Oracle.  I have screen shots if needed. 

Any help is appreciated

Brandon Carder
    Vistaprint
  • Re: Backing up Oracle
    Posted: 02-05-2013, 3:58 PM

Hello BCarder,

For starters it looks like your oracle home is incorrect it should end at the version number 10.XXX not db_1

Posted: 02-11-2013, 7:58 AM

ORACLE HOME box should have the Oracle application install path.

When Installing Oracle iDataAgent make, sure that Simpana is installed with appropriate group that is part of the Oracle user account, or any other account with permissions set to read-write-execute.

User Account with administrative privileges to access the Oracle application.

On Unix clients, the user should be part of the user group assigned during the iDataAgent install. You can also use the operating system user account to verify the rights to perform all backup and restore operations for the associated Oracle instance.

On Windows clients, the user should be part of local administrator group and also part of the ora_dba group with read/write permissions on  Simpana folder. You can use the Impersonate user account to verify the rights to perform all backup and restore operations for the associated Oracle instance.

Please also check if you use connect string and that is been added to commvault config.

Posted: 02-12-2013, 2:33 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 09-19-2014, 9:07 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Oceanport NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 962
    • Commvault Global Group

"Unknown" means that the iDA is having difficulty connecting to the instance.   It could be that there is a problem with the configuration (look in the registry for this instance, and verify the path of ORACLE_HOME variable as set in the registry)  Also make sure that the OS user that you are setting in the GUI is fully qualified (If on a domain its domain\user, if local account its servername\user).   Also check to make sure that the "oracle" account being used is either "/" or an account that has been granted "sysdba" as this is a requirement for RMAN so the iDA connects using "connect / as sysdba" or "connect user/passwd@tnsname as sysdba".  Give this a shot ans let us know how you make out.

Ernie

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Technical Lead/Analyst
    Posted: 02-17-2013, 8:46 AM

Hi guys,

I gave myself admin rights to the box and I'm now getting an "OPEN" status when I refresh. I assume that's OK.

When I go to back up the DB, its failing saying the following:

Error Code: [18:106] Description: RMAN Script execution failed with error [ORA-19602: cannot backup or copy active file in NOARCHIVELOG mode]. Please check the Logs for more details.

Can someone assist? Also, I want to be sure I'm backing up the ENTIRE DB. Is there anything I should look for that will guarantee that I can restore this DB fully (if the backup ever happens!)

Thanks!

Brandon Carder
    Vistaprint
    Posted: 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM

You need to change the Ora DB from NOARCHIVEMODE to ARCHIVEMODE for successful backup.

I am not a Ora Admin so can't tell where exactly you need to change and what need to be changed.

Posted: 02-18-2013, 2:52 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Oceanport NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 962
    • Commvault Global Group

Yes, it sounds like the database is in noarchivelog mode.  In order to change this you will need to shutdown the database and restart it in "MOUNT" mode.   Then issue the following command in a SQLPLUS session to turn it on:

[oracle@server]$sqlplus sys/passwd as sysdba;
    SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Fri Oct 15 16:00:58 2004
    Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.
    Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup mount
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  184549376 bytes
    Fixed Size                  1300928 bytes
    Variable Size             157820480 bytes
    Database Buffers           25165824 bytes
    Redo Buffers                 262144 bytes
    Database mounted.

SQL> alter database archivelog;
    Database altered.

SQL> alter database open;
    Database altered.

Once this is complete you will be able to run the "online" backups of the Oracle database.  If you cannot enable archivelogging for some reason, then the only alternative is to run "offline" or cold backups of the database.   This will also work in CommVault, as you merely have to select the "offline" backup option in the subclient content, and enable the "lights-out" script in the backup arguments tab.  The lights-out script will handle shutting down and restarting the database for the offline backup.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Posted: 03-06-2013, 1:51 PM

We are not able to change the mode to MOUNT mode. 

Can somone post the instructions on how to back up the database in offline mode, in other words, its ok if the DB goes offline during a backup. Not sure how to do it. Thanks!

Brandon Carder
    Vistaprint
    Posted: 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Oceanport NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 962
    • Commvault Global Group

Sure...  here ia the link to BOL for creating an offline subclient:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/oracle/config_adv.htm#Creating_a_Subclient_for_Offline_Backups

Here is the section for configuring the "lights-out" options for the offline backup.   This will take care of shutting down and restarting the database before and after the backup:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/oracle/config_adv.htm#Configuring_Lights_Out_Script_for_Offline_Backups

Take a look at these instructions and let us know how you make out.

FYI...  these links can be seen from the "Advanced configuration options" in the BOL:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/oracle/config_adv.htm

Ernst F. Graeler
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy