Email Reports

Last post 04-26-2013, 4:16 AM by MarkGeorge. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Email Reports
    Posted: 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Is this possible? Basically I'm looking for an automated method of checking how things went over night, i.e. if there were any failures etc. Is there a better way to do this as I'd like to avoid email notifications per job.

• Re: Email Reports
    Posted: 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Hi Markgeorge,

Do you have a preferred application that you montior your network/servers (something like BMC, Solarwinds, WhatsUp Gold)? I'll have to doublecheck but in my lab I believe there is a way to pass fail jobs to windows event viewer which those applications can parse and you would be able to veiw the failed jobs using that app.

You can also take advatage of STMP to SMS on failures as well as send the failed jobs report to a folder on a webserver for view via browser removing dependency of using Simpana's gui.

If you have something in mind that you would like to see please let me know and I will help find a solution.

Posted: 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM

That would be pretty handy as we use a monitoring package called Ops Manager by Manage Engine. Any idea where we send it to the event log? By the looks of things I could also send an SNMP trap which might be an option.

Posted: 04-25-2013, 2:07 PM
    Posted: 04-25-2013, 5:19 PM

Hi MarkGeorge,

I have not had an opportunity to use OPS Manager but after spending time on their site it appears that event viewer monitoring is core to their server/enterprise feature. Assuming you use OPS as a status dashboard for your environment it makes a lot of sense to add in Simpana data protection results for quick assessment of data protection activities.

To accomplish this task we will not use the reporting engine, instead leverage Simpana's alert mechanism which will output to event viewer. Alerts will then be parsed by OPS and you can manipulate the appearance as desired.

Have a look at these images I put together to guide you through configuring alerts and let me know if you need me to expand on anything. You will also find documentation links below to reference for more detail or you can click "help" on any configuration window as well.

Configure Alerts:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/alerts/how_to/alert_configure.htm

Token definitions:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/alerts/alerts.htm#Alert_Tokens

Posted: 04-26-2013, 4:16 AM

Awesome - thanks! We're actually running version 10 but the steps are pretty much the same. 

Cheers!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy