Storage policy settings for 20,000 jobs is slow

Last post 08-12-2010, 2:28 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Storage policy settings for 20,000 jobs is slow
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM

We have a bunch of DBs that need to be backed up every 15 minutes.  As a result, when you browse the backup history or view the contents of a storage policy, it takes 30 minutes + to retrieve the contents of the history because there are so many jobs (often times the GUI crashes).

Is there a better way to setup the jobs so each 15 minute incremental job is pruned after the full job runs?

• Re: Storage policy settings for 20,000 jobs is slow
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 2:33 PM

hello bolsen,

When your GUI is crashing are you connecting via the browser or local install?

I can probably help you with the local install piece to prevent it from stalling out.

• Locate the shortcut on your desktop for the CommCell GUI
    • Right click and bring up the properties window and find the target text box
    • Add the following text at the beginning of Target: -Xms128m -Xmx512m

Example:

-jar cv.jar commserver.commvault.com 8401

Change this to

-Xms128m -Xmx512m -jar cv.jar commserver.commvault.com 8401

This will set the initial heap size to 128 MB and maximum heap size to 512 MB.

Again, this will only help you locally and not via the HTTP connection but it should improve your performance.

Let me know if this helps.

Posted: 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the tip, however, it still doesn't work.  Even if I set the max to 4096, it still doesn't gather the data any faster.

Posted: 08-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Grrrr, 45 minutes of "thinking" and it crashes.Yell

Posted: 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM

bolsen:

Grrrr, 45 minutes of "thinking" and it crashes.Yell

Can you specify the time range to limit the browse, to focus the time range to just information your looking for? 

Posted: 08-12-2010, 1:07 PM

Yes, this works OK depending on how far back we go.

In this example our auxcopies aren't finishing, so I'm looking for partially copied jobs = search everything.

Posted: 08-12-2010, 1:34 PM

bolsen:

Yes, this works OK depending on how far back we go.

In this example our auxcopies aren't finishing, so I'm looking for partially copied jobs = search everything.

Gotcha, if you click the advanced box on the same browse window and only check "jobs that need to be copied" this should show you all the "to be copied" and "partial"

Posted: 08-12-2010, 2:20 PM

Hmmm, I don't have a "Filer by Data Status" section.  See the attached file.

Posted: 08-12-2010, 2:28 PM

You will not get these options if you "view jobs" from the primary.  If you select the secondary copy (which would show the partials and to be copied) these options will be available.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy