DR Question

Last post 08-12-2010, 6:35 PM by dwojcik. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • DR Question
    Posted: 08-11-2010, 3:28 PM

Hi,

I have a question concerning my DR setup that I have. I have a production Commserve and I have a Commserve at my DR site in standby mode including the SQL DB. Every morning I have a job that backups the production SQL log files (Commserve) and I have another job that restores them on the DR Commserve server. The job fails with the following error  “30:336 Description: There is nothing to restore, database [CommServ] is already up to date” I can see that the backup process ran correctly so why would the restore process mention that there is nothing to restore? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Re: DR Question
    Posted: 08-11-2010, 7:11 PM

Hi thanks for your question.

I have a couple of questions and some suggestions on what may be the cause we can go further from there as needed.

Did this ever work before or is it somethig new you are setting up?

Have you set it up and followed the doc on  Building a Standby CommServe Using Log Shipping?

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/cs/cs_sql_separate_how_to.htm

If you have not set it up and configured the jobs, settings, servers etc as described in this doc please "undo" whatever you have setup already and then do it again following this doc.

There are some very specific thinsg that need to be in place in order for this to work properly, usually whne there is nothign to restore it is because there is a disconnect in the process somewhere with the trans log backups and the restore to the alternate server.

If you have any further questions or problems after setting up as described please let us know.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted: 08-11-2010, 9:00 PM

Hi Justin,

One thing I would check is your schedule for your transaction log backups and transaction log restore jobs. You will want to make sure that you stagger the log backups and restore jobs so that they do not overlap.

For instance if your log restore job kicks off before the log backup job completes the log restore is going to restore the latest log backup (that has most likely already been restored). If this is the case the restore job will say "nothing to restore" meaning that the transaction log has already been committed to the database and there are no more changes.

Not until the next log backup completes and restore job runs will it restore and commit the changes in the translogs to the Database from that point in time of the backup.

During the restore of the logs you will also want to make sure that under the SQL restore options you have you check the box for 'Latest Backup Data' and 'Apply Log backups only'.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave Wojcik
    CommVault
    Advanced iDA Support

Posted: 08-12-2010, 9:50 AM

Thanks for getting back to me

Bill:

It works sometimes, if I look at the history all backup history is successful but the restore history is successful like twice a week, the rest of the time it fails. Can it fail if a backup job of a different client is stalled?

That’s the doc I followed when setting it up and it works, I can do the failover, the only thing is the commserve db isn’t up to date because of the failed restores.

Dave:

I’ve setup the schedule with a half an hour intervals ex: backup runs at 8AM and the restore starts at 8h30AM (the backup takes roughly 5 minutes). I’ve double checked the SQL restore options, I get the same results when running the jobs manually.

Anything else I can look into?

Thanks guys

Posted: 08-12-2010, 3:11 PM

Hi Justin,

Is the message you are receiving still "there is nothing to restore"? This usually means that the latest restore of the transaction logs have already been restored and committed to the database. Or you keep restoring the logs from the same point in time when browsing the backup.
    If the "there is nothing to restore" message is still being received try the following.

1. Manually run a transaction log backup.
    - when complete –
    2. Manually restore the transaction log backup.

For the log restore, browse latest data and under the SQL Restore options make sure to select the following:
    Restore types : Database Restore, Latest backup Data, Apply log backups only
    Restore time: {The latest log backup you had just run}
    Recovery types and UndoPath: Standby
    Restore Options:
    Unconditionally overwrite existing database or files

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Dave Wojcik
    CommVault
    Advanced iDA Support

Posted: 08-12-2010, 3:29 PM

Hi Dave, 

Yup, always the same message, whether I run the job manually following the steps you just mentioned or letting the scheduled jobs run. Should I just go ahead and open a support case?

Thanks

Justin

Posted: 08-12-2010, 6:35 PM

Hi Justin,

Try this one last thing before opening a ticket. If the same message is received then open a ticket.

1. Run a Full back up of the CommServ Database.

2. Restore the full copy of the CommServ Database to the destination DR CommServe.

Please make sure to select the following options on FULL restore.

SQL Restore Options

Restore types: Database Restore

Restore Time: {the last Full that was just run}

Restore options: unconditionally overwrite existing database or files

3. Run a transaction log backup.

4. Run a transaction log restore.

Please make sure to select the following options on LOG restore.

Restore types : Database Restore, Latest backup Data, Apply log backups only

Restore time: {The latest log backup you had just run}

Restore Options: Unconditionally overwrite existing database or files

If this does not resolve the issue than please by all means open up a support case.

Regards,

Dave Wojcik

CommVault

Advanced iDA Support

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy