Meaning of message 19:1192 Backup job has been converted to a full backup because of an Auxiliary Copy job copy

Last post 08-15-2010, 8:53 AM by pkhare. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Meaning of message 19:1192 Backup job has been converted to a full backup because of an Auxiliary Copy job copy
    Posted: 08-11-2010, 4:16 PM

Hi,

Could someone please explain what this message means and why this would happen, or point me to a document?  I submitted a differential job (filesystem iData agent on ESX) that got converted to a full.  We don't have an Aux copy defined for this storage policy, but in the queue, when the job was submitted, I saw an Aux copy running as well.

Thanks!
    Khare

• Re: Meaning of message 19:1192 Backup job has been converted to a full backup because of an Auxiliary Copy job copy
    Posted: 08-11-2010, 4:34 PM

Hello Khare,

When you look at the backup history primary copy is there a "full" backup listed? We sometimes see this error if a full backup has been aged.

• Re: Meaning of message 19:1192 Backup job has been converted to a full backup because of an Auxiliary Copy job copy
    Posted: 08-11-2010, 4:44 PM

Hi Stephen,

Yes, there was a full that was taken last week that has not aged.  As part of a test, I had run a differential after the full, but killed it when it was done part way.  I submitted a differential after some time, and that's the job that got converted to full.  So:

Full, differential (killed), differential (got converted to full).

I thought maybe the killed differential was causing the conversion, and tried the same test again multiple times, i.e. taking a full and then deleteing a differential, but could not reproduce the issue - the differential does not get converted to full.  The only difference was that the first time, when the differential got converted to full, there was an Aux copy job in the queue.

Thanks,
    Khare

Posted: 08-11-2010, 6:07 PM

Khare,

Without looking at the logs form the job i can only speculate as to whay this may have happened but it may be due to the following:

Convert to Full Backup on Indexing Failures option which may be enabled for this iDA. What this option does\means is that if an indexing failure happens (may have been caused by the killed job or just some other indexing issue which may not be easily reproduced) rather than the job sitting there in pending and not running it would convert the job to a full which would then write a new index and not depend on the contents of the older jobs index.

You can check if this option is enabled here:

• From the CommCell Browser, right-click the agent icon of the client computer whose agent configuration you want to change, and then click Properties.
  • From the Index tab of the agent Properties dialog box, select Convert to full backup on indexing failures.
  • It is not a bad thing to have on but note that it will cause you to run a full if there is an index problem, its up to you to decide if you would rather have a full backup or have the job sit in pending and or eventually fail out completely.

That is the only user intiated option that would cause that to happen, and without looking at the logs for that particualr job i cannot say for sure what happened but depending on what the differential was doing and what it had or had not written to the index when it was killed may have caused some sort of corruption causing the new differential to not be able to determine what it needed to do from some sort of index issue and then convert to a full.

If this option is not on and you want to dig deeper into why this happened, up to you if its worth it or not since it seemed to be a one time thing based on your tests but could happen again, you will need to open a TR with support so we can investigate this fully with the logs\web-ex etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted: 08-11-2010, 6:18 PM

Hi Bill,

Convert to full backup on indexing failures is currently unchecked.  So that may not have been the reason.

I did open a TR (100809-000253) and the analyst asked us to run db maintenance.  I logged this message in this forum to see if someone could explain what this message meant, and if there was any other solution that folks were aware of.  I could find no documentation explaining this message.  Was this conversion to full due to an Aux copy, or is that just a "red herring"?  That was my point of confusion.

Thanks for all your help,
    Khare

Posted: 08-11-2010, 6:24 PM

Khare,

Red herring may be just what this message turns out to be. This error can be caused by a few different criteria but it seems you have checked all the common reasons this can occur.

If you don't mind posting the outcome of your incident back on this thread it will be beneficial for the next user that comes across this error.

Posted: 08-11-2010, 6:53 PM

I am not aware of any senario where an Aux copy would have any bearing on a job type (full, inc, diff) changing as they are completely unrelated and unlinked operations.

Runnign a DBmaint is never harmful and may have been helpful here or maybe not. After looking into the TR and the issue the problem appears to be because of the Diff that was pruned from the cycle which caused the next job to convert to a full. Under certain circumstances depending on how the job was pruned this can happen.

Thanks,

Bill

Under the following conditions, a non-full backup is automatically converted to a full backup:

•If a backup job within the most recent backup cycle is pruned or disabled from a primary copy.

Posted: 08-13-2010, 2:24 PM

We've run db maintenance here, and I guess we will wait and see if this error comes back.  Otherwise, we'll assume that it did the trick.

Thanks to both of you for your help,
    Khare

Posted: 08-15-2010, 8:53 AM

Hi,

We're all set here.  Someone had pruned a job again, and that caused the differential to convert to a full.  Aux copy didn't have anything to do with it.  The Aux copy message is just a generic error message.

Thanks for all your help,
    Khare

• The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
    Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
    Close
    Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy