CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Download Simpana 10

Last post 06-24-2013, 9:49 AM by Ali. 22 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Download Simpana 10
    Posted: 05-14-2013, 6:37 AM

Morning,

We are looking to get a trail version of Simpana 10 so we can get some time on it before looking to upgrade customers in the future.  Is there a general download link or do we have to go through a support request or similar?

Many Thanks

• Re: Download Simpana 10
    Posted: 05-14-2013, 8:16 AM

You would need to call your account team to request it.

Posted: 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM
    Posted: 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Does anyone know when Simpana 10 will be available for existing customers? We've just installed v9 and are starting to test but there are several features in v10 which we could really make use of.

Thanks,
    james

Posted: 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM

This is interesting to note.

The docs say upgrading from v9 to V10 is NOT supported, but it doesn't say that for upgrading from v8 to v10.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_10_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/upgrade/imp_considerations_1.htm

Upgrades From V9 To V10 Is Currently Not Available And Will Be Supported In A Future Service Pack.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_10_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/pdf/upgrade.pdf 

INSTALLED VERSION                      UPGRADE TO VERSION 10              INFORMATION

Version 8 with Service Pack 6          Supported                                  Perform a direct upgrade to Version 10.

Version 9                                     Not Supported                             Will be available in a future service pack.

Posted: 05-21-2013, 3:19 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you have a valid "retail" Commvault maintenance contract (not OEM) then you are eligible to upgrade to version 10.

https://ma.commvault.com/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f

Posted: 05-23-2013, 4:33 AM

I only see up to v9 when logging into MA, we've got a valid support contract etc. Are other people seeing v10? Is it definetly available?

Posted: 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM

I checked into it and I believe that at the moment it's only available for new customers but not those wanting to upgrade just yet.

Posted: 05-23-2013, 1:02 PM

Does anyone know when it is going to be release to MA customers?

Posted: 05-23-2013, 2:54 PM

I believe it will be available in the late August timeframe.  Per the BOL link (http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/upgrade/upgrade.htm), customers should be upgrading from v8 to v10.

JW

Posted: 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM

I ask this question to my sales rep and from what I was told, exsisting customers will have access to download version 10 first part of June.

Posted: 05-29-2013, 5:50 AM

To download the V10 package, availability around in late June2013 (unofficially told).

To upgrade from v8 to v9, it is not supported by CV. And then upgrading from v8 to v10, requires CV professional service.

Posted: 06-13-2013, 2:55 PM

v10 upgrade will be available June 21 per the website for existing customers.

Posted: 06-13-2013, 2:57 PM

So does this mean that upgrading from v9 to V10 will be supported?

Posted: 06-13-2013, 3:01 PM

I'm currently on v9 SP10a, I was told June 21st. I would "assume" (which has been known to get me in trouble before) that v9 to v10 would be supported. There have been a couple of patches for v9 that directly relate to upgrading in the last 2 SP's for v9. Last I heard v10 was up to SP2 already so I would hope it's ready for v9 to v10 upgrades...

Posted: 06-20-2013, 11:25 PM

We were expecting June 21st as well. Although in a recent TechConnect session were told Upgrade Season has been pushed back to late July / early to mid August.

Which is a little disappointing for our organisation, as the new version has some features we were looking forward to implementing to reduce backup windows, etc.

Looks like CV is chasing that sweet sweet PS money...

Posted: 06-21-2013, 8:47 AM

Either they are squeezing the customers for PS or there is a big problem with the upgrade from v9 to v10...

We've been through v7 to v8 and v8 to v9 upgrades. Both went smoothly and both were available when SP1 was released. I've been told the v10 is already on SP2?

We too are looking at alot of the new features and would like to start using them. Hopefully we dont have to wait for SP4 or 5 before they release it to existing customers.

Posted: 06-21-2013, 9:06 AM
    Its frustrating. There are quite a few features we would like to make use of but can’t at the moment as there is obviously no upgrade path from v9 to v10. I noticed in the release notes that the virtual agent still hasn’t been upgraded to v10 which means if you run the virtual server agent like we do on the commserve, then there is no way of currently upgrading to v10. It may be issues like this they are wanting to fix before releasing the upgrade.

James
    Posted: 06-22-2013, 10:13 PM
    • Ali is online. Last active: 04-21-2014, 6:08 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010
    • Master
    • Points 1,416
    • Commvault Global Group

Soon as a Version is 'released', those drop down options should be visible on the MA page to download the software etc, this is all expected from my experience.

Check out this page, will give you a step up on the Upgrade Path and you can test your DB as well ahead of time:

https://ma.commvault.com/AdditionalInfo/UpgradeAssistance?fv=9.0 

Note, only upgrade from v8 to v9 isn't supported, upgrade fromv v8 to v10 of course will be.

Posted: 06-23-2013, 10:00 PM

SP 3 was released on Friday last week. Version 9 upgrades are now supported:

Version 9 Supported

Contact your account team for upgrade assistance.

Posted: 06-24-2013, 9:20 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010
    • Master
    • Points 1,416
    • Commvault Global Group

True SP3 was released, however v8 & v9 upgrades are targetted for August time frame still, no change in that regard, guessing thats what you meant.

Posted: 06-24-2013, 9:42 AM

I was directly told that Commvault is using a new release metric for this version and that existing customers will not be able to do a self lead upgrade until August 21st. They did tell me we could upgrade now if we engaged professional services to do the upgrade......

Posted: 06-24-2013, 9:49 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010
    • Master
    • Points 1,416
    • Commvault Global Group

Exactly, thanks for clarifying that part Tom.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy