Replace email archiver server with a new server

Last post 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM by Patrick Dalton. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Replace email archiver server with a new server
    Posted: 08-13-2010, 12:18 AM

Hi,

I am currently doing email archiving to a server called cvm2 via
    a 32 bit mapi agent. cvm2 is too old and needs to be replaced.

I have setup a server called cvm3 which will do archiving
    after cutover.cmv3 is preinstalled with the correct software and configured
    the same as cvm2.

These are the steps I am planning to do:
    1. Shutdown cvm2
    2. Deconfigure the email archive agent on cvm2 via the Commcell console
    3. cmv3 is preinstalled so I will simply "enable" and "schedule" the agent

The questions are:
    1. Is this plan OK? If plan is not OK should the new server also be called cvm2?
    2. If email restores need to be made, the restore process needs to use
    the cvm2 backups if the email was archived prior to the cutover and use
    cvm3 backups if the email was archived after the cutover. Is the email
    archive agent smart enough to do this?

The reason that I have presinstalled cvm3 (to take the place of cvm2) is
    to reduce the outage time of the cutover.

Thanks for any help

• Replace email archiver server with a new server
    Posted: 08-13-2010, 7:41 AM
    I'll address this with numbers as well. 1. Yes. Sounds like cvm2 is a proxy so make sure you point the mail server to the new proxy when you do the cutover. This is set on the properties of the mail server properties in the commcell GUI.

2. Yes it is. Make sure you do not delete the agent or client from the commcell and the archive history will stay intact. The stub file in the users mailbox contains information that can be handled by any exchange server that receives the restore request.
    CommVault Messaging Support
  • Re: Replace email archiver server with a new server
    Posted: 08-16-2010, 7:22 PM

Thanks for the reply.

As a followup to my question, I have noticed that the emails on cvm2 are being saved to

disk (magnetic library).

This disk is a SAN disk attached to cvm2. This SAN disk will move to cvm3 at cutover time.

Will I still be able to restore archived  emails saved prior to the cutover of cvm3?

Posted: 08-19-2010, 9:17 PM

Patrick:
    I'll address this with numbers as well. 1. Yes. Sounds like cvm2 is a proxy so make sure you point the mail server to the new proxy when you do the cutover. This is set on the properties of the mail server properties in the commcell GUI. 2. Yes it is. Make sure you do not delete the agent or client from the commcell and the archive history will stay intact. The stub file in the users mailbox contains information that can be handled by any exchange server that receives the restore request.

So the old agent/server needs to remain in the comcell even if the server is nolonger around?

Meaning the license can't get reused?

Posted: 08-19-2010, 10:43 PM

Phillip:

Thanks for the reply.

As a followup to my question, I have noticed that the emails on cvm2 are being saved to

disk (magnetic library).

This disk is a SAN disk attached to cvm2. This SAN disk will move to cvm3 at cutover time.

Will I still be able to restore archived  emails saved prior to the cutover of cvm3?

As long as the move is done in commvault we will know where the data is moved to.  When a recalll is submitted the commserve SQL tables will contain this information.

Posted: 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
    ipman:

Patrick:
    I'll address this with numbers as well. 1. Yes. Sounds like cvm2 is a proxy so make sure you point the mail server to the new proxy when you do the cutover. This is set on the properties of the mail server properties in the commcell GUI. 2. Yes it is. Make sure you do not delete the agent or client from the commcell and the archive history will stay intact. The stub file in the users mailbox contains information that can be handled by any exchange server that receives the restore request.

So the old agent/server needs to remain in the comcell even if the server is nolonger around?

Meaning the license can't get reused?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy