VADP VMWare Backup issue

Last post 08-19-2010, 1:55 PM by Leif. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VADP VMWare Backup issue
    Posted: 08-16-2010, 5:24 AM

Hi,

I am trying to backup our virtual environment but it gives me this error:

ERROR CODE [91:11]: VCBMounter Failed for at least one VM. Please check VCBMounter logs in the WINDOWS/Temp folder.

I am using the new feature VADP and I think I have configured all the necessary things like installing the VADP file provided by the Commvault site and latest update as well as the registry ket to Enable VADP. But this error complaining about VCBMounter which I thought shouldn't be used when you are not using VCB solution. Have I forgotten something or the VADP still not enabled? How can I make sure the VADP is actually enabled and used by the backup job operation?

Thanks in Advance!

• Re: VADP VMWare Backup issue
    Posted: 08-16-2010, 10:16 AM

Had a very similar issue, we were sent to this document.  Working through it ressolved our associated issues.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1009073&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&dialogID=38752513&stateId=0%200%2038754922

Posted: 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciate that. My case has been resolved by getting involved the CommVault support . It appeared that there was a spelling error on the name of a registry key. By correcting that the issue is resolved now. Thanks again.

Kamran

Posted: 08-19-2010, 6:18 AM

Hi,

I too have this issue from time to time, even though having set the reg-keys ... (well the ones as stated in the documentation, unless those are the ones that are wrong as you were referring to spelling errors...)

Anyway, I've noticed that when the VDAP method fails, the VSA automatically tries to fall back to VCB.   This is something I don't want because of the fact I'm using the "hotadd" method and have no (desire for a) holding tank on those VM's

any idea?

Posted: 08-19-2010, 9:48 AM

Renaat:

Hi,

I too have this issue from time to time, even though having set the reg-keys ... (well the ones as stated in the documentation, unless those are the ones that are wrong as you were referring to spelling errors...)

Anyway, I've noticed that when the VDAP method fails, the VSA automatically tries to fall back to VCB.   This is something I don't want because of the fact I'm using the "hotadd" method and have no (desire for a) holding tank on those VM's

any idea?

I Dont believe there is a way to turn off the failback to VCB.  A theoretic workaround would be to set the VMtransportMode registry key to NAS mode (as i think it requires some catalog, which isnt typically available or configured) and should allow it to fail almost immediately.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/registry_keys/registry_keys.htm#VWTransportMode

Posted: 08-19-2010, 1:55 PM

If your VM's are HW v7, then there is a way to force VADP CBT based backups or the backup fails (instead of falling back to VCB CRC based backup). It's a registry setting that came in update 18179 which has been obsoleted by update 18431, so be sure to have one of those installed.

The 18179 critcal update notice under the "Simpana 8.0 Update Notifications" section has details, including the reg key, on page 4 of the pdf document.

https://services.commvault.com/mainadv/update_notifications.asp?fv=8.0

Also, I noticed that update 18431 has a fix to take a regular virtual machine snapshot when unable to take a snapshot with a quiesced guest file system. Details can be found here for 18431:

x86: http://commvault.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17515
    x64: http://commvault.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17510

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy