Building a standby commserve

Last post 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM by kathy. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Building a standby commserve
    Posted: 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM

Thanks to another post, I came across a link about building a standby commserve.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/cs/cs_sql_separate_how_to.htm

What kind of license (if any) is required to set this up?

thanks,

Kathy

• Re: Building a standby commserve
    Posted: 08-17-2010, 1:06 AM

Kathy,

What we've done, within our business, is to create a virtual server at our DR site with commvault installed and configured as required that is shutdown (only one of the commvault servers can be up at a time with the same IP due to licensing). From here, on our production commserve, we run the DR job to copy the files to the DR site.  In the case of a disaster we fire up the standby server, restore the DR data created for the comcell and off we go.

Not sure if this might help you.

Shaun

• Re: Building a standby commserve
    Posted: 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Shaun,

Thanks, your information was helpful.  I have moved the Commserve to new hardware when upgrading and as I can recall it's similiar to what you describe.  I was confused when I came across the link I posted for creating a standby commserve. 

I think I may understand now, the instructions for building a standby would be if you have the license that allows you to have more than one commserve name - so you can fail-over when needed.

If you don't have the license, then you would do as you describe, if your hardware is down you can restore the DR data to the standby equipment.

Does that sound correct?

Kathy

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy