Idiots guide to setting up 4.x VADP

Last post 08-19-2010, 9:50 AM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Idiots guide to setting up 4.x VADP
    Posted: 08-17-2010, 9:50 PM

Idiots guide to setting up 4.x VADP

Forgive me but my knowledge of our storage setup is a bit fuzzy & and its currently getting upgrade by our storage team.

Our test setup is  small – a few hosts just for testing.

Our current production setup includes about 20 physical locations of which 2 would be considered primary.  These are currently VMware 3.5 and we use file system ida’s on them to back them up as if they were physicals.  We were using vcb but found it too slow and unreliable.

Site 1 has 12 hosts with 160vms

Site 2 has 33hosts with 180vms

Both sites have shared storage and we use vmotion etc and they will be getting ported over to a new vsphere environment hosted on an AMS2500 but first I need to test the VADP on the smaller test setup.

What I’m trying to understand is :

Reading the Commvault Simpana 8 VMware VADP support field update (24/3/2010) I’m a bit confused as to which direction to head.

Do I install the VSA on the esx host? Or is it part of a media agent? Or are they just vm’s within the each host?

What’s a master VSA client?

The MA’s can be virtual but if you plan to use Dedupe you’re probably better off using a physical one so you can host the DDB’s on it right?

• Re: Idiots guide to setting up 4.x VADP
    Posted: 08-18-2010, 9:34 AM

AMJ,

First I would recommend upgrading everything to ESX 4.x, and Vcenter to 4.x update 2. 

From there you would install the virtual server agent on either a physical proxy (offset the I/O load off the ESX environment) or on a VM (for hotadd).  In most cases a physical proxy is ideal to take the backup load off the ESX environment.  For the number of VMs you will need multiple proxy servers. 

Adding a media agent to the VS agent would be ideal to ensure the movement of data doesnt go over the network (assuming everything is fiber attached)  The master VSA client is a concept, in which you centrally manage all virtual server iDAs from one deemed "master VSA" client.  AS an example if you have 4 virtual server agents, you would select the first as the master.  All configuration is done on this agent, but on the subclients you would use the "use proxy" option to specify the other 3 virtual server agents to process the backups.

If you are using dedup, I highly recommend this be a physical box with the fastest disks possible.

Posted: 08-18-2010, 8:33 PM

Thanks Vincenzo_Basolino - that helped a lot ;-)

Now I'm just watching this speed issue everyone is talking about and wondering if i should bother changing over from simple FsIda's at all!

Posted: 08-19-2010, 9:50 AM

I hear ya... Once the speed issue is ironed out, you'll run VS iDA and never look back.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy