Data recovery from old decommisioned server.

Last post 08-20-2010, 9:46 AM by mort. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Data recovery from old decommisioned server.
    Posted: 08-20-2010, 5:41 AM
    • mort is not online. Last active: 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM mort
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

We have a server at a remote site (Media Agent, iDA, stand alone LTO4) that has been decommisioned and removed, as the building is to be torn down.

A request has come in for a restore, from a month ago.  I have the tape, which I inserted into the tape library here (write protected of course :D ) but they are showing as new media, I can verify them and it can read the OML, but "no valid data", when I view contents!

How can I get the data off these tapes?

• Re: Data recovery from old decommisioned server.
    Posted: 08-20-2010, 5:53 AM

Hi there,

Seems like you deleted the storage policy, media and the library from the commcell, so that would explain why it's detected as new media..

The only thing you can do now is to use "Media Explorer"  from the Resource kit on Maintenance Advantage to catalog the media and restore data from the jobs you're interested in

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/dr_tool/dr_tool.htm#Using_Media_Explorer

Don't worry, it'll work Cool

Please note you will need the media password if you've configured one during the Commcell setup (or set one afterwards)

Cheers,

Posted: 08-20-2010, 6:47 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

We haven't deleted storage policy, media agent or deconfigured the library.

It was left so we could do restores from the server, when I spoke about decommisioned I mean the hardware itself has gone.

I have the media here with me and put them into our local tape library, where they show as empty!

Posted: 08-20-2010, 7:01 AM

In the old library on the Commcell, is the media still listed there ?

Usually when you physically "migrate" media from one library to another on the same Commcell, it should show up in the new library as   (Media from a different library)

You can then go to the original storage policy copy, right click and select "Change data path" in and select the new library (i.e. where you've put the media now) to sort this out

If the media really shows up as  , then I would advise you to use Media Explorer

Posted: 08-20-2010, 8:58 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

the tapes in question have been moved from a stand alone tape drive, to a bar-coded tape library.  As it's using the barcode to ID the tape is this causing it to see it as a new tape?

Posted: 08-20-2010, 9:09 AM

It could be ... is the label recognized differently ?  is the barcode matching the media name from before ?

Posted: 08-20-2010, 9:12 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

No the barcoded label is read correctly, but of course it never had one in the stand alone drive it originated from!

Posted: 08-20-2010, 9:16 AM

I think there's a way to migrate (= explain commvault this tape now has this label) this but I'd have to look it up..

anyone else already done this ?

Posted: 08-20-2010, 9:39 AM

Hi Mort,

Correct that because a tape with no barcode (previously) was inserted into a library with a barcode reader (and likely a new barcode), this tape will appear as a new tape.  To have the tape recognized as it was, you will need to do the following -

1. Remove the tape from the library that it is currently in and make a note of the barcode label that has been applied to the tape
    2. Locate the tape from the assigned media group for the original stand-alone library in the commcell
    3. Right-click the tape and select Update Barcode, then enter the barcode as it appears on the new label.  Note that barcodes usually have 8 characters, but not all libraries read all 8 characters - i.e. if the barcode label is 000123L1, but the barcode appears in the commcell as 000123, the library is configured to read only the first 6 characters - you will need to update the barcode accordingly.
    4. Place the tape back into the desired library.  When detected, it should indicate the status and associations from the previous library.  You will now be able to restore.

Good luck

Matt

Posted: 08-20-2010, 9:46 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

Brilliant, thanks. That makes complete sense!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy