Data Archiver on File server

Last post 08-25-2010, 9:33 PM by Krish. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Data Archiver on File server
    Posted: 08-18-2010, 12:05 AM

Hi,

I'm Testing Data Archiver for File server. I have Archived a Folder with file size & accessed time as the rule. Folder size is 20Gb & it has Archived 10Gb in the first archive job run & every week it's archving 1GB of Data.

I have noticed that on the file share where this folder resides, commvault has created a folder called "gxhsmcache" & put the stubs & complete directory structure of the folder I have Archived.

Stub folder is growing & it's 8Gb now. Could someone tell me what's this gxshmcache folder & why the stubs folder is here & when I'm trying to freeup space on file server why the stub folder is so big & growing???

• Re: Data Archiver on File server
    Posted: 08-18-2010, 9:07 AM

Hi Krish,

See definition below. 

Also, you can turn off the creation of stubs in the cache (it will still be used as a temp location to open a recovered stub) by setting the registry key (also listed below).  If this key is set to no the restubbing feature will not be available.

GXHSMCACHE cache Folder

For Local File Systems and Celerra instances, a hidden folder (GXHSMCACHE) is created on each volume you are monitoring for stub recovery. The purpose of this folder is to provide a temporary location to open a recovered stub file. When the stub recovery is completed, the file will be deleted from the hidden folder.

Registry Location:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instancexxx\WinFSDataMigrator

Key:  GXHSMMAINTAINSTUBCACHE

Description: Maintain stubs in cache location for quick re-migration of stubs

Thanks,

Craig T.
    Posted: 08-25-2010, 12:08 AM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info.

I did leave this cache as enabled.

It just shows a 8 GB(virtual size) but it's actiually it's 120 MB.

Could you tell me what happens if I disable this cache & delete the whole GXHSMCACHE cache Folder ??

Regards,

Krish.

Posted: 08-25-2010, 12:45 AM

If you delete the cache folder, the next time a recall occurs it will recreate the folder and stage the file there until its moved to its original location. 

Posted: 08-25-2010, 1:46 AM

Will it recreate the folder even if I disable cache from Registry ??

Posted: 08-25-2010, 9:20 PM

The gxhsmcache is dual purpose:

1.  A temporary repository for stub based recovery

2.  If stub cache is enabled, it will hold a copy of the stub, so CV can restub the data during the archive scan phase, to prevent the file from being rearchived in the event the file was recalled and not changed.

To answer your question, if the folder is deleted, and stub cache is off, the folder will still be created, as the restore process will need to temporarily put the real file in there before moving it into the original location. 

Posted: 08-25-2010, 9:33 PM

Thanks mate,

that explains everything.

Regards,

krish.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy