Cannot backup some vm's, which one changes every backup

Last post 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM by Willie_F. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Cannot backup some vm's, which one changes every backup
    Posted: 11-07-2013, 9:57 AM

Hi all,

We are having some issues with backing up vm's, hope you can help me out here.
    Situation is:

Win2008 v9 SP11a Commcell is using 2 proxy servers (both Win2008 vm's) which have the VSA installed to backup vm's via hotadd method. One of the proxy servers is the vcenter.
    We have 3 subclients devided over the 2 proxy servers.

At first there was a problem that snapshots remained on the datastore after backups got stuck in pending status with error:

Unable to connect to Virtual Machine host [vcenter] as user [domainuser].  Please ensure that the proxy is able communicate with the host and that the user account and password are correct.

Problem was fixed and we could connect again.

Since that moment on several vm's fail to backup, which vm's fail changes every backup. For instance a whole subclient fails and an other time partially and sometimes it even completes without problems.

We thought it might be a load issue, so we lowered the streams per subclient from 4 to 3, changed the backup method from auto to hot add and changed the scheduling so not all 3 subclients started the backup on the same time but an hour after each other.
    Also added a second harddisk controller to each proxy server to expand the amount of disks that can be mounted. 

The problem still persists, switched subclients between proxy servers to see if there is a problem with the proxy used but same issues.

Nothing changed on storage level and access rights are also unchanged. What has changed is that vm's have been upgraded (hardware level), also there has been a change from ESX 4.x to ESXi 4.x.

Attached is the content from vsbkp.log for one vm, same logging for other failing vm's.
    Any idea's? Would be greatly appriciated.

Regards,

Jos

• Re: Cannot backup some vm's, which one changes every backup
    Posted: 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM

can you zip up the logs and email them to me please so I can take a look? I will provide my email in a PM to you.

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy