Any good performance tuning guidelines for backing up VMware?

Last post 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM by Walter Grande. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Any good performance tuning guidelines for backing up VMware?
    Posted: 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM

I am very new to Simpana so I am a Newbie.  I was wondering if there are any guidelines for how to performance tune VMware backups?  

Is it better to have more subclients with few servers or fewer subclients with more servers?  

Am I correct in assuming that the Network Agents in the Performance Tuning section of the Data Transfer Option are irrelelavant for SAN based VMware backups?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Re: Any good performance tuning guidelines for backing up VMware?
    Posted: 02-12-2014, 9:13 PM

How are your subclients currently setup?  Are you using any affinity or auto-discovery options?

Have you seen the VMware VADP Virtualization Architecture white paper?

Is the VSA (Virtual Server Agent) client also a media agent and is it writing directly to the backup storage you are using?

Posted: 02-12-2014, 9:58 PM
    Review the building blocks guide, previously linked. My second recommendation is before you start making changes set a baseline for performance. Once you have an understanding of our environments performance, you will be able to make adjustments. Keep in mind you will always need to review the Read performance from the storage, the Transfer from the storage to the media agent, and the Write performance to the library.
    Posted: 02-13-2014, 4:18 PM

The SAN LUNS holding the VMware infrastructure are attached to my media agents so they are being backed up over the SAN fabric.

Posted: 02-18-2014, 2:15 PM

That VADP article was very informative.  One question I am still trying to figure out is what hit is there on the VCenter server?  A VSA may be able to handle 50 streams but will that blow up the VMware environment?

Posted: 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM
    During a VSA backup there isn't a great deal of impact on the vCenter. The VSA Server / Media Agent Server will be performing most of the work, when using SAN transport mode. You will need to monitor the amount of streams you utilize during a VSA subclient backup. I suggest working with the default settings first. You can the see how your environment reacts, and increase accordingly.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy