Extended Retention is really Bad for tape usage

Last post 11-04-2010, 6:51 AM by peleeb. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Extended Retention is really Bad for tape usage
    Posted: 09-10-2010, 4:18 AM

I have configured some storage policies that use extended retention on a secondary copy to keep a monthly full back up for 2 years. The normal retention ive set is 3 months.

Now ive been looking at why im not getting very many recyclable tapes and have found that commvault is not seperating the data that needs to be kept for 2 years from the data being kept for 3 months.

The upshot of this is that we have some tapes with only one or very few pieces of valid data on them which wont expire for another year.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any way i can move all this long term data to another set of tapes?

2. Can i configure CommVault to store extended retention data on a seperate set of tapes?

thanks

Ross.

• Re: Extended Retention is really Bad for tape usage
    Posted: 09-10-2010, 4:47 AM

Indeed, extended retention is bad for tape rotation..

Make a new selective storage policy copy in your existing storage policy! This will allow you - via an auxcopy - to copy full backups based on certain criteria ..

Then schedule an auxcopy on a regular basis.  Using the proper retention (extended) on this copy.

Run an auxcopy... and get rid of the extended retention in your primary storage policy copy...

Kind regards,

Renaat

Posted: 09-10-2010, 4:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.

This is the way i used to do things but i was advised by a normally trustworthy support person that extended retention was a better way of doing things.

Back to plan A it is.

Posted: 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM

It's rediculous how many tapes are tied up from extended retention jobs.  It would have been nice to know this when we were in the design phase!

Posted: 09-10-2010, 3:10 PM

I've seen this topic brought up a few times in other threads with the outcome always being the same.

Would an option to "condense media" be helpful here?

Posted: 11-04-2010, 6:51 AM

A condense option would be primo.  TSM has it and it's a lifesaver.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy