Does anyone have experience with adding vmfilters via the commandline.

Last post 10-09-2014, 1:50 PM by Christopher Lecky. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Does anyone have experience with adding vmfilters via the commandline.
    Posted: 09-30-2014, 3:49 PM

I have not been able to get this work using either of the prescribed methods.

This seems like some kind of black art practiced by a small band of highly skilled engineers deep in the bowels of commvault.

When I populate my xml file then run the command what I find is that it runs without an error but does not actually do anything.

• Re: Does anyone have experience with adding vmfilters via the commandline.
    Posted: 09-30-2014, 4:17 PM

Hello,

Can you provide us the modified xml file you are running as well as the run command?

JW

Posted: 10-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Any resolution to this?  I'm trying to figure out how to add/modify the VM content for a subclient.  Not had much sucess, I would imagine it would be the same syntax as adding a filter.

Thanks,

Joel

Posted: 10-09-2014, 1:50 PM

The issue was that the XML provided as an exampl was malformed.

The options for the changes can either be entered into the command line or in the XML. There was also information missing in the XML, specifically nowhere in the documentation for updating vm filters at the backupset is any mention of the instance. 

I spoke to Brugesh in CommVault and few other people and once all the options were added to the XML it worked like a charm. The subclient name must be set to "Do Not Backup"

Below you'll find a working xml that we put together.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesRequest>
    <association>
    <entity>
    <appName>Virtual Server</appName>
    <clientName>backupserver</clientName>
    <backupsetName>Defaultbackupset</backupsetName>
    <subclientName>Do Not Backup</subclientName>
    <instance>Vcenter01</instance>
    </entity>
    </association>
    <subClientProperties>
    <vmContentOperationType>ADD</vmContentOperationType>
    <vmContent>
    <children allOrAnyChildren="1" name="" type="10" path="" displayName="PSCAPPD01104" equalsOrNotEquals="1" />
    vmContent>
    <vmDiskFilterOperationType>ADD</vmDiskFilterOperationType>
    <vmDiskFilter>
    <filters filter="" filterType="" vmGuid="" />
    </vmDiskFilter>
    </subClientProperties>
    </App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesRequest>
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy