Backup Select Disks on a virtual machine through Virtual Server Agent for VMWare

Last post 11-14-2014, 8:49 AM by texaskat. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backup Select Disks on a virtual machine through Virtual Server Agent for VMWare
    Posted: 11-12-2014, 3:36 PM

Good afternoon,

I am running Commvault V10 R2 SP8, a Vcenter Server version 5.5.0 and ESXi 5.5.0.  I back up my virtual environment by specifying the luns as subclients, all the vms on that lun are backed up as long as I do not have them specified in the filter.  I have two vms on one subclient that only need 2 out of their 5 drives backed up.  Is there a way to filter out the drives with in one guest, or would the strategy be to install an agent into the guest and back it up as a physical machine?

Thank you.

TexasKat

• Re: Backup Select Disks on a virtual machine through Virtual Server Agent for VMWare
    Posted: 11-12-2014, 3:48 PM

Hi Kat,

Do any of these options work for your scenario? Filtering Disks from a Backup

Joe (in San Antonio)

• Re: Backup Select Disks on a virtual machine through Virtual Server Agent for VMWare
    Posted: 11-12-2014, 4:05 PM

Hi Joe (in San Antonio)Laughing ,

Thank you for sharing, that is the very article I was working through when I posted this question.  The closest I can come to what I am looking for is excluding disks based on the .vdmk name, but that will create an additional administrative burden, as the disks seem to be added to this machine frequently.  Other that the disk filtering, do you see anything else I can use?

KAT...

Posted: 11-12-2014, 4:11 PM

Hi Joe (in San Antonio) Laughing,

Thank you for sharing.  That was the very document I was looking through when I posted this comment.  The only way I can see to exclude is by specifying the names of the .vdmk disks.  That would cause some administrative overhead, as they seem to add disks to this machine at an alarming rate.  Is there something else I am missing in the document? 

Thanks for your help,

KAT

Posted: 11-12-2014, 4:21 PM

Hi Kat,

The current options are to filter by a disk's SCSI address, datastore name, VMDK name (can use wildcards if needed), or hard disk number. So if you put one of these VMs in a subclient on its own and you know all of the disk numbers of the disks you would like to backup, you could set a filter to not backup any other disk numbers. That would filter out any newly added disks by default.

Another option would be to set the newly created disks in VMware to be independent disks. Those disks would not be affected by VMware snapshot operations and subsequently would not be backed up. That would require someone to set the new disks as independent disks when they are added, however.

If you could give us some details of what you are trying to accomplish here that might help us figure out how we can do what you are trying to accomplish. Or, if you have a way of accomplishing this already in mind, we might be able to see if there is a good option in CommVault or if we need to request an enhancement.

Thanks,

Joe

Posted: 11-13-2014, 8:15 AM

As I understand your issue you have 2 VMs that you only want to backup 2 disks, There are currently 3 other disks attached that you don't want to backup, but at some point there may be more disks.  So to account for this you'd want a dynamic filter.

As you have a special requirement for these 2 VMs you may want to move them out to their own subclient so that any disk filters that you apply will only affect these VMs.  (and then filter them from that subclient)

From there you could use the hard disk label filter to specify a a range of hard disk labels to exclude from the backup.  Ie hard disk [3-64] assuming that the disks you want to backup are disks 1 & 2.

Posted: 11-14-2014, 8:49 AM

Joe and Henry,

Thank you so much for your help.  I did as you both suggested and created a subclient for both the VMs and filtered out disks 3-?.  I was making it more complicated that it had to be.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Texaskat.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy