Restoring pruned data from tape

Last post 11-11-2010, 7:29 PM by sssstew. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Restoring pruned data from tape
    Posted: 10-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Hi All, i have an issue whereby i want to restore a file from a backup several months ago, now i have found an aged 'full' job on a tape that is available to me, but when i try and do a restore of the file and choose the copy precedense it starts the restore then says in the event log :-

One or more archive files could not be found.  Archive files may have been pruned.  The restore results will not be complete.

How can i retreive this file from the greyed out job on the tape?

• Re: Restoring pruned data from tape
    Posted: 10-29-2010, 9:22 AM

Do you have an ER/DR backup from when the data wasnt aged?  If you can stage a sudo commcell off the production network to perform the recovery from a time where it isnt aged, this might produce better results. 

Posted: 11-11-2010, 2:59 PM

It may be that you didn't browse by exact index?  Make sure that is enabled and if you start the browse by 'history' make sure you it new browse and then advanced options.

Or the backup was on two tapes and the last tape has already been overwritten and had the index on it.  If that was the case you are out of luck except maybe you could get specific info off the tape with media explorer.

Posted: 11-11-2010, 7:14 PM

There are two things I would recommend checking.  In the GUI, go to Control Panel>Browse/Search/Recovery and check to see if the Show Aged Data During Browse and Recovery option is checked.  Another thing to try is to right-click on the subclient for this Client machine and select Backup History.  Click the Advanced button and make sure Include Aged Data is checked.  Once that is done, click OK twice and check to see if the job ID is appearing there.  If it is, you can right-click and select Browse.

JW

Posted: 11-11-2010, 7:29 PM

Thanks guys for your input, i think mnahas might be right.  managed to restore the data from different media in the end with the help of CV support.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy