NDMP Client Environment Variables

Last post 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM by Chris Naude. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • NDMP Client Environment Variables
    Posted: 11-01-2010, 5:37 PM

Does anyone know how to set NDMP client environment variables for a subclient? I've been searching through all of the documentation and I can't find it anywhere. This for Simpana 8 and a NetApp filer.

• Re: NDMP Client Environment Variables
    Posted: 11-01-2010, 6:34 PM

Good afternoon,

I checked out the documentation and could only find information for Centera Clusters.  Below is the info:

from:  http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/centera_clusters/centera_clusters_how_to.htm

Before You Begin

If you wish to use a PEA file, use the following steps to setup the environment variable for the Centera PEA file location.
    1. From your computer Desktop, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
    2. From the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables. In the Environment Variables dialog box, under System Variables, select New.
    3. In the Variable name field, enter CENTERA_PEA_LOCATION.
    4. In the Variable value field, add the full path to the PEA file including the file itself. For example, C:\PEA\Centera.pea. It is recommended that there are no spaces in either the folder location or the file name.
    5. Click OK, and then OK again. Reboot the computer to commit the variable.

Posted: 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM
    • Wilko is not online. Last active: 18/11/2013, 10:06 PM Wilko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2010
    • Bathurst, NSW. Australia
    • Newcomer
    • Points 10

Hi Chris,

I have four NetApps, but I'm not aware of having to set an environmental variable. Where are you going to set them?

From memory the steps were:-

• Install the licence
    • Verify the NetApps can 'see' the tape devices (sysconfig -t)
    • Control Panel -> Library and Drive Configuration (select any MA) -> Start -> NDMP -> Servers fill in the form
    • Client Computers (right click)-> New Client -> NAS Client  

Andrew

Posted: 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
    • Wilko is not online. Last active: 18/11/2013, 10:06 PM Wilko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2010
    • Bathurst, NSW. Australia
    • Newcomer
    • Points 10

Hi Chris I have 4 x NetApps and I can't recall having to set a variable. From memory the steps would be:-

• Verify the NetApp can see the tape devices (sysconfig -t)
    • Add the NDMP licence to the CommServ
    • Add the NDMP Server. Control Panel -> Library and Drive Configuration (select any MA) -> Start -> NDMP -> Servers (fill in the form)
    • Create the client Client Computers (right click) -> New Client -> NAS Client

You can only backup File Systems and directories on the NetApp, not individual files

Andrew

Posted: 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM

I have a case open with NetApp because my NDMP backups are failing with internal data mover errors. One of their requests was that I set EXTRACT_ACL to TRUE. In the past with my previous backup software I was able to set NDMP client environment variables. The functionality seems to be missing from Simpana 8 (or atleast well hidden).

This is just some troubleshooting that NetApp is having me do. I don't think they really know what's wrong but I'm willing to set the variable. I also have a case open with CV support about this same issue. CV support is actually looking  at my filer's NDMP logs which is more than NetApp is willing to do. :(

About backing up individual files. It is possible to do this. I backup LUN files regularly with CV and my NetApps. It works great. The only problem is that I have to run fulls for each LUN but it works.

All of my configuration is correct. I've been running NDMP backups for sevral months now. This issue is only ocurring on one of my filers.

Thanks!

EXTRACT_ACL
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy