best solution for desktops and laptops - workstation versus Winders idatagent for Windows desktops

Last post 11-02-2010, 9:19 AM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • best solution for desktops and laptops - workstation versus Winders idatagent for Windows desktops
    Posted: 11-01-2010, 6:18 PM

We're trying to sort out which product would work better for backing up desktops and laptops.  We've looked at the Workstation agent which does replication of folders to a central host and we have looked at the iDatagent for Windows desktops.  It appears to me that the latter--the iDatagent--is better for more traditional backups of entire machines.  It's similar to the Winders server product where you install, assign the machine to policy set and a schedule, and it backs up the machine or any pieces or parts that you want to.  The workstation agent puzzles me quite frankly.  We have it running in one department and it replicates My Documents on XP machines and users on Win7 machines to stubs on the server.  What I don't see is any way to do more than synch files from specified folders--at least easily.  So how do you get any retention with the replication, or did I miss something really important the afternoon the installer set this all up?  Please share your experiences with these two "workstation" products. 

• Re: best solution for desktops and laptops - workstation versus Winders idatagent for Windows desktops
    Posted: 11-02-2010, 9:19 AM

The windows iDA will follow the standard retention and restore methods.  WBA works slightly different, since its replicating the data.  The data sits on the destination until its removed from the source (assuming orphan file handling is enabled).  Another function of the CDR client (your destination machine), is a snapshot and conventional backup can also be performed of the data.  If performing snaps and backup, retention can be applied.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy