Trying to reinstall client, getting "That client name already exists on the Commserve".

Last post 03-13-2018, 11:45 AM by Vercetti. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Trying to reinstall client, getting "That client name already exists on the Commserve".
    Posted: 05-14-2015, 5:38 PM

I removed the Commvault client from a server. I copied the installer locally to that server, and when I run it, I keep getting an error that "that client name already exists. Please provide a new name to configure the new client". I want it to use the old name so I have access to the prior backups. I've done this before, and normally it installs using the old information just fine. I noticed that the "push" installer has an option to "ignore duplicate name in commserve" (the push installer doesn't work to this server, I've tried). Is there a way to tell the local installer to ignore the duplicate name?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Re: Trying to reinstall client, getting "That client name already exists on the Commserve".
    Posted: 05-14-2015, 5:44 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-21-2018, 4:49 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,410

Usually this means you aren't matching both the client and hostnames exactly as listed in the client properties in the GUI. For instance it was installed using shortname and FQDN and this install you are using shortname/shortname.

• Re: Trying to reinstall client, getting "That client name already exists on the Commserve".
    Posted: 05-14-2015, 5:45 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,410

If this is a VM, in the User Preferences of the Control Panel in the GUI, enable the option to view virtually discovered clients and disable hide deconfigured clients. Locate the name of the client you are trying to install and open the properties. Verify the client and host name in the GUI properties. 

Posted: 05-14-2015, 6:26 PM

I think I found the problem, but I'm not 100% positive. I was having problems with the backup, and uninstalled the client. I noticed that the host name in the CV console was wrong, and changed it. I just changed it back, and will correct it after the client (hopefully) gets installed.

Posted: 05-14-2015, 7:02 PM

That didn't resolve the issue. I don't see any differences between what I am putting in the client installer and what is in the commserve console.

Posted: 05-21-2015, 12:07 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,410

You may want to open a ticket with support to see if there is something being overlooked as these reinstalls are typically straight forward. 

Posted: 05-21-2015, 12:14 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 03-05-2018, 11:33 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Peter,

What was the original problem with the backup to begin with if I may ask.  Also whats the current error you are getting.  If possible could you post the "Install.log" from the client you are installing this on, its located under ther ProgramData folder if you can track it down.  Try Start --> Run --> %Allusersprofile%

Posted: 11-24-2016, 8:35 PM

Hi Peter,

I'm having the same issue, did you managed to fix this problem? And if so, what was the solution?

Regards

Posted: 03-12-2018, 6:43 PM

Hi Peter, did you find a solution for this?

Posted: 03-13-2018, 9:59 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,410
    Are you seeing something specific? The below steps typically correct the issue. 
    In the User Preferences of the Control Panel in the GUI, enable the option to view virtually discovered clients and disable hide deconfigured clients. Locate the name of the client you are trying to install and open the properties. Verify the client and host name in the GUI properties. 
    If this a local install, restart the installation on the client, and use the client and hostname in that was in the GUI. If this is a push, you should be able to push the installation from this pseudo client. 
    Posted: 03-13-2018, 11:45 AM

I will try it and let you guys know if it works. Funny thing is that we have two commcells and only on one this happens.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy