Zero cycle retention

Last post 05-28-2015, 4:10 PM by frank_grimes. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Zero cycle retention
    Posted: 05-28-2015, 3:13 PM

In the past I have been told that zero cycle retention is not recommended. I now see that there is a section that talks about it on BOL (http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/v10/article?p=features/data_aging/faq.htm).

Has CommVault's recommendation around this changed?

What are the downsides to using zero cycle retention? Is anyone else using zero cycles?

• Re: Zero cycle retention
    Posted: 05-28-2015, 3:20 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for posting this question.

Our main concern with zero cycle retention is that you can be left without a backup to restore from as data aging is only counting against days and zero cycles.

That means if you have a primary copy set to 3 days and no backups run for 3 days data aging will still prune those jobs leaving you with nothing to recover from.

However, where it makes sense to use a zero cycle policy would be where your recovery requirements are only for X number of days. Then you can be certain that the data will be deleted and space recovered with no remaining cycle.

Let me know if this was helpful.

Stephen

Posted: 05-28-2015, 3:30 PM

Hi Stephen

That was the exact answer I was looking for. There are a few locations where there is a strict 15 day policy and nothing higher. Using 1 or 2 cycles puts us beyond the 15 day mark so the zero cycle would work best for these locations. We'll just have to make sure that jobs are rerun the same day they fail.

One other question around the missed jobs - If a job on the 12th day fails and is not rerun, but the jobs on the 13th, 14th, and 15th are successful, does that alter the retention in any way? Or do we just lose the 12th day as a recovery point?

Thanks

Posted: 05-28-2015, 3:48 PM

Frank,

To answer your new question here is how it would work.

Assuming that the job on the 11th is a full and jobs ran on 12, 13, 14th and 15th are incrementals - they would all become part of the same cycle.

It would look like this

11  12  13  14  15

F     X     I     I     I

Although the job on the 12th failed there are subsequent jobs that are part of that cycle. So you would start counting the 15day retention from the date when your last incremental completed. In this scenario your zero cycle would prune on the 30th.

Let me know if this was clear - data aging takes a bit to get used too.

Posted: 05-28-2015, 3:50 PM

That makes sense. I wanted to be able to explain the zero cycle clearly to some of the administrators and you definitely helped.

Thanks!

Posted: 05-28-2015, 3:54 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 06-25-2019, 2:53 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,632

Have you seen this handy cheat sheet? 

(This doesn't take into account the 0 cycles, but it's still useful for standard retention.)

Posted: 05-28-2015, 4:10 PM

Hi Liam,

I didn't see a link or anything attached, but if you're referring to the spreadsheet then yes. It's a pretty great tool! I was just more concerned around CommVault's standpoint around zero cycles.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy