Non-authoritative restore

Last post 11-05-2010, 8:57 AM by JWeir. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Non-authoritative restore
    Posted: 11-04-2010, 12:04 AM

I  just restored a server and it copmlained of issues with the trust relationships between it and the domain - so i deleted it from the doman and re-added it. that worked fine but now ist complaining about license issues!

What rookie mistake have i made?

the server in question is a sharepoint server but its database is elsewhere on another sql box.  The sp instance is up and working just fine... i'm just wondering about why it suddenly thinks windows is counterfiet. 

• Re: Non-authoritative restore
    Posted: 11-04-2010, 1:22 PM

AMJ,

What licensing error are you receiving?  Can you provide a screenshot?

JW

Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:15 PM

done.

Attachment: licenseerror.jpg
    Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:34 PM
  • After a full system restore, the Windows security ID (SID) of the rebuilt system may not match the corresponding SID on the primary domain controller. To resolve this conflict, remove the computer from the domain by joining a workgroup. Then add the rebuilt computer back into the domain by joining the domain.
    Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:44 PM

After the machine was restored it request reboot as usual.  when it came back up it complained of trust issues with the domain. at this point i logged on as local admin, joined a work group and then rejoined the domain.  I can't remember if i'd deleted the AD record prior.

It is only a test box, practice restore so i might try again from scratch and see if i get the same problem.   I did this the other day and it worked just fine (once it FINALLY got past the system protect files during the restore that is)

Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:48 PM

It doesn't say in the link you gave me that i should remove the machine from AD before doing a restore.  I think i might have done this last time - would that have caused the trust issues?

Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:49 PM

AMJ,

Did you happen to activate Windows Prior to performing the restore? If not, then it will need to be activated after the restore.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/windows/disaster_recovery_windows_how_to.htm#Rebuild_the_Operating_System

Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:49 PM

AMJ,

Thanks for the response.  I would recommend trying from scratch again to see if the restore works fine.  Restoring SPFs can take some time with Win2K8.

JW

Posted: 11-04-2010, 5:59 PM

Mike - The server is actually a VM delpoyed from a template... i've never had to active the license on them before (i didn't build the template so i assume it's automatic).  I can only guess that i've done somethingw rong along the way.

I'll try again and see if i can make it work the second time.

Thanks both of your for your help.  I'll post here if it works or not later.

Posted: 11-05-2010, 12:01 AM

Restore has worked this time.  about the only thing i did any different was i didn't tell it to overwrite (i was starting with a fresh vm) and when it complained about trust issues on reboot i added it to a workgroup and rebooted.... then added it back to the domain and rebooted.   last time i changed it to a workgroup and then changed it back without rebooting so maybe that was the problem ?

Posted: 11-05-2010, 8:57 AM

AMJ,

I believe that was the issue here.  I'm glad to hear that the restore worked this time.

JW

• The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
    Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
    Close
    Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy