LAN-free data path offline or busy

Last post 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM by JWeir. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • LAN-free data path offline or busy
    Posted: 11-04-2010, 7:15 AM

I've searched the forums, documentation and Web generally and haven't seen a way to  troubleshoot this.  I'm a CommVault newbie and former Tivoli Storage Manager consultant.

CommVault 8, SP5.  Client is its own Media Agent, Ws03 x64, SP2; client and Media Agent levels: v8(build68) SP5.  I've verified the drives are all fully accessible, the OS on the client/MA sees them, and its last backup night before last was successful.  I checked the Library and Drive config in CommCell's control panel, selected that Media Agent; the drives show configured, but unsure whether this is the appropriate tack to take.  I've suspended and resumed the jobs, suspended jobs and restarted services on the client. 

Pointers and advice much appreciated!

• Re: LAN-free data path offline or busy
    Posted: 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Good afternoon,

Are the backups going to disk or tape?  If they are going to disk, please see the following:

Low watermark % for the magnetic mount paths was set to 0%. When jobs are sent to the storage policy, we check whether the low watermark on the magnetic mount path has been met before writing each chunk. If the low watermark has not been met, we will start writing that chunk to the mount path. Most chunks by default are 4GB in size; however, this can be verified based on the backup type in the Media Management section of the Control Panel. Since the chunks for the Virtual Server iDA backups are 4GB, the low watermark should be set to a size larger than the largest chunk that could be sent to the magnetic mount point. In this case, the low watermark should be above 4GB. This setting will allow the backup to use the other magnetic mount path when the current mount path runs out of disk space. In most cases, setting the low watermark to 9GB free space is a good start.

If this is going to tape, you can try the following:

The preferred data path option was selected so we switch it to alternate data paths when resources are offline and/or busy

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy