Unable to access Index Cache

Last post 07-02-2015, 5:51 PM by Hansel. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Unable to access Index Cache
    Posted: 07-01-2015, 2:06 PM

Hi everyone!

I need to restore some File System info. When I click in the Browse option, a List Media window is displayed with the options of 'Prefetch', 'Recall Media', 'Restore Index', 'Skip Index Restore'. If I select any of these, in the Browse window appears the next message:

'Unable to access Index Cache for [] at time []. Please select correct media to restore index'

I have Simpana v9 with the latest sp and just disk libraries.

I hope you can help to find out whats happening.

Regards.

• Re: Unable to access Index Cache
    Posted: 07-02-2015, 10:17 AM

What media is listed in the window, once you clicked "List media"?

Is it accessible for CommVault (e.g. if it is a tape, is it placed in the library)?

What happens here is, that CommVault needs the media with the index to restore the index. Once that happened, you would be able to browse the data.

Best regards,

Ollie

Posted: 07-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Hi,

The media listed belongs to a disk library, we dont have tapes.

So, what could happen to the Index? Is it lost? How can that happen?

If we choose any of the options, the browse is not displayed.

Thanks Ollie,

Regards.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:02 AM

you need those tapes as index is also written to the tape while the backup happens, so please get those media and try browse.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:11 AM

Hi,

we do not have tape library, everything goes to the disk. That is the concern. From where I am going to put the media if I dont have tapes?

Regards.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Hansel,

Plesae confirm the policy/copy where this client wrote the data to has a data path that is pointing to that disk library.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Also here i have a question, when we go to the default subclient properties (default ->content) there is a checkbox "Backup system state" and i want these details

1. if we select this checkbox,  systemstate  will get backed up ?

2. if we dont select this what is the output, will it backup systemstate or not

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:36 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Correct, checked means the option is enabled, unchecked means the option is disabled.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Ok Ali. 

Got a question, what happens if the data path of the policy doesnt point to the disk library? Could this be possible?

Thanks.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thats OK, it could happen if there was some config change in the past.

Right click on the copy --> All Tasks --> Change Data Path and point to the library where the data resides, then retry the browse.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Ok.

But, if I change the data path, it will work fine after the changes? that policy has a lot of associations, so, if I understood, after to change the data path the browse should show me something, right?

Posted: 07-02-2015, 12:36 PM

I forgot to say, we have just one disk library, and all backups write over it. So maybe changing the data path wont work, isnt it?

Posted: 07-02-2015, 1:07 PM

open an support incident.

Posted: 07-02-2015, 4:21 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

The reason it needs the data path is to recall the index which is within the library at this point.  Once the data path is presented the index can be accessed and restored back to the MA which is why its currently failing and the GUI shows you "No Items..".

Give it a shot, there should be no harm in doing this, and it will never work unless you have a data path, same principle for backups, without a data path, backups will fail, as will restores...

Posted: 07-02-2015, 5:51 PM

Well, I think we cannot restore what we want. Anyway, I will open a support ticket, hoping that there is something to do with this.

Thank you for your time and replies.

Regards.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy