Synth Full question

Last post 07-06-2015, 2:32 AM by Tammali. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Synth Full question
    Posted: 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM

We are running nightly synth fulls.  We've got some drives backed up as part of VMs that are also being backed up by agents.  If I exclude those drives from the VSA backup, will the automatically be removed from the synth full of that VSA subclient?

• Re: Synth Full question
    Posted: 06-25-2015, 5:29 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Hill

Could you clarify, do you mean you're backing up using the WinFS on the Guest also?

Posted: 06-27-2015, 3:42 PM

I mean we back it up as a VM and we also have a filesystem agent backing up two drives.

I have a VM Disk Filter in place now so all I'm backing up is the C Drive.  I assume the Synth full will only ingest the new information for the C Drive.  My question is, will it "release" the data for the other two drives and shrink the overall size of the synth full?  Basically I want to reclaim the space that the synth is using.  Would give me back about 1 TB.

Posted: 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM
    • rjo is not online. Last active: 11-14-2016, 3:52 AM rjo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2015
    • Australia
    • Novice
    • Points 44

Hi,

Usually your Synthetic Full(SF) will do an incremental before performing the SF, depending on the way you have configured it.  On the incremental backup, it will capture data present at that particular time.  If you have removed the drives, it will ammend accordingly. So yes, it should release the 1 TB of the filtered VM disk.

Very interesting scenario though, I have never tried this with VM disks.

Hope that helps

RJo
    Posted: 07-06-2015, 2:27 AM

Release of capacity from CLA is also depended on Retention Period.

So in short the biggest chunk of data backed up in a FULL\SYNTHETIC FULL with in the retention period will be counted against the CLA.

Posted: 07-06-2015, 2:32 AM

Space reclamation is depended on Retention Periods, you need to check your retention periods and note if dedupe is used you might not see 100% space reclamation after the retention period is over.

Use Data Retention and Forecast report for the storage policy and question and you should be able to get the information you need. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy