Incremental Backup

Last post 11-10-2010, 12:41 PM by VC0. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Incremental Backup
    Posted: 11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
    • VC0 is not online. Last active: 06-10-2011, 4:31 PM VC0
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

If you have a non critical server that has a Full Backup (no Dedup).

How long can you do incrementals without doing another full backup?

And still be able to trust a restore.

• Re: Incremental Backup
    Posted: 11-09-2010, 1:09 PM

Good afternoon,

This is usually dictated by business requirements.  You may want to run Incremental backups for a week or two before running the next Full.  This will prevent Index Restores from occurring on Incremental backups as well as allow retention requirements to be met.

JW

Posted: 11-09-2010, 1:49 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 08-06-2020, 1:41 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,732

That depends on how much you trust the media that the backup goes to.  Theoretically there is no limit, but then you may also want to consider the amount of time it would take to fully recover from that backup, should the need arise.    If you run weekly fulls, worst case scenario would be a restore from the full backup plus restoring from the 6 incremental backups since that full.  Now take this scenario out 6 months...   Now your restore would consist of restoring the full backup from 6 months ago, PLUS restoring from every incremental backup between that full and the current point in time.  Now add to that, if there is a problem with one of the tapes from two months back, it will break your capability to recover to a consistent image.  Granted you can use the "restore by job" feature to recover from other incrementals after that corrupt tape, but how much will your users/customers like to wait for that process to complete? 

Thought this would be a good point to consider.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 11-09-2010, 2:15 PM

As Ernie mentioned there is no limit, however never performing a full is not a best practice.

Side Note: In my time here at CV the oldest backup without a full to date I can remember was 3yr 9mos 1wk. Incremental jobs were performed Sun --> Fri but the customer had disabled the full scheduled for Saturday due to maintenance and never switched it back. Undecided

Posted: 11-09-2010, 2:36 PM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

This PC with server 2003 installed in tech area has about 5-6 TB of images on it.

We do not want to waste space and backup window on it. the retention is 1 yr and there are a couple of fulls the rest are inc.

I have never done a restore on it and am about ready to tell them to back it up some other way.

all backups are showing to be good or green. I know it is not best practices but in theroy it should work as long as tapes are good?

RightUndecided

Posted: 11-09-2010, 2:49 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 08-06-2020, 1:41 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,732

Correct.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM

If that pc/server holds static data primarily why not just do a full backup weekly, monthly or quarterly.  Please keep in mind, the rate of change on that server, if the incremental backups are small I would perform the full backups weekly. As the other responders have pointed out the restore is going to be a beast and take forever to do. At least with a weekly full one restore gets you back to that specific point in time.

Posted: 11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

Because of slow pc/server a full will take about 4 or more days to complete, will not stay within weekend window. The 25+ techs are out at ours 64+ school sites imaging at different times during the day. I know that we should be doing virtual desktop but we need to virtualize all our servers first oh i digress. So backups takes the pc/server to its knees. The monthly average is about 273 gig or 68 weekly. I was just trying to give them some kind of protection. And if they needed a restore i would run a media needed report and put it in the library at main data ctr,if there was a bad tape it would prompt me to put it in the dr site library. If that failed then they can create another image.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy