Tape Drive Serial # madness

Last post 11-11-2010, 7:31 AM by mort. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tape Drive Serial # madness
    Posted: 11-09-2010, 2:32 PM

I have 4 IBM 3592 E05 drives that I've been using with my commvault system for 3 years now.  They're fiber attached to the SAN switched and zoned (in pairs) to my media agents who share them.

Now, I have 2 drives that are acting up on me.  One drive says

While accessing a drive the Serial Number obtained [000007874174] is different from expected Serial Number [0000078F3334].

The F3334 is the actual Ser# on the drive, and 74174 is from another drive I have (which still works).

The way my drives look now is (and this matches their physical layout in the tape library).

Drive 1 - 78F3334  - Unusable due to error I posted above

Drive 2 - 7874513 - Fully Accessible

Drive 3 - 7874173 - Unusable due to error listed as " SCSI-2 Reservation Command to the Drive failed"

Drive 4 - 7874174 - Fully Accessible

I've tried rebooting my media agents.  Is this an issue with IBM?  Possibly a zoning change on the SAN?

• Re: Tape Drive Serial # madness
    Posted: 11-09-2010, 2:52 PM

Good afternoon,

For that serial number issue, you would want to redetect the library via the Library & Drive config in control panel.   This can happen any time the OS is rebooted and there has been any change to the drivers or firmware etc. It can happen for no real reason if for some reason the OS redetects the device.

JW

Posted: 11-09-2010, 2:57 PM

This seemed to help drive #1 indirectly (it detected 3 more controllers), but the drive info stayed the same.

Drive 3 is still messed up.  May need to get IBM in on that one.

Posted: 11-09-2010, 3:05 PM

Billis,

Thanks for the update.  I would recommend engaging IBM on that issue with Drive 3.

JW

Posted: 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Are you using disk also?  The issue tends to be the drive mapping is "out of whack"(technical term) if you reboot your media agents they should be discovered in order. In our case the solution was to zone the disk targets ahead of the tape devices. If you decide to just follow the reboot of the Media agent method you have to reboot all the media agents (because you stated that they all share the drives).

Posted: 11-11-2010, 7:31 AM
    • mort is not online. Last active: 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM mort
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

There is also a registry key fix to the IBM drivers to stop tape drives changing names across reboots on Windows servers.  Which I have seen cause the serial number changed reports in commvault.

Version 6.1.6.2 and later versions of the device driver have an
       option for enforcing file names for tape drives that will persist
       across reboots of the operating system.  For example, if your tape
       drive has the name \\.\tape3 and the persistent naming option is
       used, then \\.\tape3 will be reserved for use by that device after
       an operating system reboot. To take advantage of this feature, place
       a DWORD value in the registry called PersistentNaming and assign it
       a value 1 at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmtp2k3
       and reboot your system.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy