recovered file's access date

Last post 11-16-2010, 4:08 PM by AMJ. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • recovered file's access date
    Posted: 11-12-2010, 12:02 AM

is there a way of maintaining a files original access date when you restore it? - I restored a bunch of files to a test server to try archiver on them but now the accessed date is set to the current date.  Modified date is maintained though. 

• Re: recovered file's access date
    Posted: 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Hi AMJ, the following reg keys will help here(GXHSMSTUBKEEPTIMES/GXHSMSERVICEKEEPTIMES). 

You can also find these keys on Books Online (along with additional keys)

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/registry_keys/registry_keys.htm 

NOTE:  ALWAYS BACKUP THE REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES

Prevent File Modified Time Changes

Windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance<xxx>\

Key

WinFSDataMigrator (standard)

Value

GXHSMSTUBKEEPTIMES (optional)

Value Type

DWORD Value

Valid Range

Y to preserve the original file access time and modified time during archive operations; or N to not preserve those times during archiving

Default Value

Y

Created In

User-created in the computer in which the client component is installed

Description

This key preserves the original file access time and modified time for files during archive operations. It can be used in conjunction with the GXHSMSERVICEKEEPTIMES registry key to preserve these times during stub recovery operations as well.

Applies To

Archiver for Windows

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Craig T.
    Posted: 11-14-2010, 10:53 PM

Sorry - i meant before the archiver gets near the files.  I thnk the reg key you mention is to preserve the access date once the file is recovered from stub.  Which is useful - but not what i mean.

During my testing i set up a test server and restroed what was to be dummy data to ttest the archive on.  the probem is that the restore process from a normal file ida has set the accessed date to the current day.  Not sure that there's any way around that as technically it'd be creating the files from the backup ;-/

Posted: 11-15-2010, 9:50 AM

Hi AMJ,

Just to be clear, you are looking to restore files through the "regular" File System IDA (not the Archive Agent) and you want to preserve the original File Access times? 

If this is the case, I do not believe you can do this but I will investigate further and let you know for sure.

Thanks,

Craig T.
    Posted: 11-15-2010, 4:02 PM

Yes - thats what i want.  The reason being that we want to rollover a file server - so we'd backup and restore the file share to the new one - but we then want to archive and if the restore set the accessd date to the current day then we can't use it for archiving - we'd only be able to use the modify date.

Posted: 11-16-2010, 9:40 AM

AMJ, From my research it does not look like this is possible.  This is really an OS limitation.  It looks like there are some tools out there that will allow you to modify access time but I don't think that really fits the bill here.  Modified date would have to be used.

Thanks,

Craig T.
    Posted: 11-16-2010, 4:08 PM

It does make sense from the OS point of view.  Thanks for your help!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy