VADP Backup Errors

Last post 11-12-2010, 1:30 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VADP Backup Errors
    Posted: 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM

I have just recently re deployed one of our VCB proxy server as a VADP server for a portion of our VMware environemnt. I have targeted a 6 node VShpere cluster with approximately 25 VMs running on the cluster for VADP backups. I followed a configuration guide provided by CV which addressed the reqiured setup for VADP backups. Initial testing looked good then I started to see VCB Mounter Errors for some of the VMs that were included in the subclient. I reviewed the config guide once again and made sure the proxy server was configured properly which it was. I then removed the VCB Consolidate Backup Infrastructure Tools and cleaned any remaining registry entries. After dooing that I now see that all of the VMs are failing due to an error indicating that the VCB mounter is not installed. As a result I uninstalled VDDK and then reinstalled VDDK but still see the same behavior. The CV config doc does not list the VCB Consolidated Backup tools as a requirement for VADP backups to function in fact I was under the impression that the VDDK was designed to replace the consolidated backup tools. Is there anyone out there seeing this behavior with VADP backups?

• Re: VADP Backup Errors
    Posted: 11-12-2010, 1:29 PM

It turns out this issue is happening due tot he fact that CBT or Change Block Tracking is not enabled on the guest OS that VADP is trying to backup. CV Support was able to provide me with a .bat file that can be used to resolve the issue on VMs running on Windows 2003. The .bat file is called vStorageBatchv5.bat. The instructions for resolving this issue on VMs running on Windows 2008 R2 are as follows

: Set the disk.EnableUUID parameter in the virtual machine settings to False by performing the following steps:
    a) Power off the Windows Server 2008 virtual machine through vSphere Client.
    b) Click Settings > Options >General > Configuration Parameters.
    c) Set disk.EnableUUID to False.
    d) Save the settings.
    e) Power on the virtual machine

• Re: VADP Backup Errors
    Posted: 11-12-2010, 1:30 PM

VCB is not required to use the VDDK.  It sounds like VCB was being utilized to backup the machine and its removal further supports this.  Can you attach or PM the log file, so we can determine the root cause of the failure. 

Also is your vcenter server on update 2?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy