Recover Deleted Client

Last post 11-16-2010, 7:22 AM by Stephen Connington. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Recover Deleted Client
    Posted: 11-15-2010, 9:28 AM

Hi guys,

This is my first time in this forum, so please go easy on me. We had an issue with a file server that was backing up and archiving through commvault. The server is now redundant and all the data has been moved onto a new server which is running OK. I de-configured the old server and deleted the client from the commcell console. Big mistake... I have now lost all the archiving; which was set to archive anything over 4 years old. Is there a way of me restoring the client so that I can see all the jobs it has created so that I can try and restore archived data from tape before the archive took place. We are currently running Simpana 8.

Heres hoping

Paul

• Re: Recover Deleted Client
    Posted: 11-15-2010, 9:48 AM

Paul,

Was this done just now?

You have two options, one is to do a DR restore to bring your comcell back to before you deleted the client. (ie latest DR backup) You would lose any backup\archive data that occurred after that point on all machines as it would revert you to that point in time.

Second you can do a merge of the deleted client from the old DB to the current DB but that would require a special license to be purchased that you most likely do not have. It is also a very specific process that needs to be done to do that. Information on it here: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/cc_migration/cc_migration.htm

Posted: 11-15-2010, 9:51 AM

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply. this was done at 11:50am today.. (roughly 3 hours ago). I have never done a DR restore, Im guessing its fairly straight forward; but it does sound a little scary.. do you know if there is a document on this to assist me.

Many thanks for your time and knowledge.

Paul

Posted: 11-15-2010, 9:56 AM

Hello Paul,

Please suspend any data aging jobs from running as soon as possible.

Was this archived data on magnetic or tape?

Posted: 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Paul,

Good so you will not lose out on much if any data then. As Stephen said also disable any Data Aging until you do this and also kill any DA job that may be running. The sooner you do this the better. I know it sounds a bit scary but it is actually rather simple. You are basically just restoring the DB that CV uses to a prior point in time.

Here is the link to the tool that you use to do this. Your DR has two phases (from CV look in control panel>DR Recovery and you will see the mag path that phase 1 uses that is where you can pull the dmp file for to recover from.) Use the latest one you have (by default they run at 10am so hopefully you have one from then if it was not rescheduled) and follow the info, if you do have any problems or questions  post here or call the hotline. Depending on the nature of the problem or question you may be better served with a call to support  that has an SLA etc as we cannot promise any kind of timely response here per se and you do not want your CS half recovered as nothing will work.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/er_tool/er_tool_how_to.htm

Thanks,

Bill

Posted: 11-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Because we are dealing with archive data and there is probably only one copy available I suggest you log a case with us along with referencing this thread.

If the client was deleted and a data aging job has executed that data will be erased from magnetic, however if this is on tape media your exposure will be minimal as long as the tapes are not present within your library.

Once your case is open - feel free to post the incident number or PM it to me.

Posted: 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Hi Stephen,

I have created a new support ticket. Number is 101115-000240.

Our archiving data does not go to tape; so I think it has gone completely. The reason I want to restore the client is that I can the go back and recover any important archive data before the archive took place (if that makes sense).

Thanks

Paul

Posted: 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
    Paul,
    Thanks for the TR info we will check on it.
    It may or may not be gone depends on if data aging has run or not.
    The tech who works with you can verify this and advise.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Posted: 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Paul,

Like Bill said we may be able to roll back without losing any data depending on when the last aging job ran. I appreciate you opening a case and am briefing the engineer who will assist you with particulars.

Posted: 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Hi Stephen / Bill,

I have managed to get the client back; so thanks for that. The archiving unfortunately is not there. Also, 1 more question (Sorry). If I browse the restored server for a period of last year (before data archiving took place) I receive the following error.

"No non aged valid backup data for client [clientname] iDataAgent [Windows 32-bit File System] backup set [defaultbackupset] subclient [default] before [Mon Nov 15 16:24 2010].

Im guessing that the indexes have been deleted as well? Is there anything I can do to rectify this.. I have made a right balls up of this today and I am sorry to waste anyones time!

Thanks

Paul

Posted: 11-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Paul,

No worries.

Being that the file archive data had been aged off magnetic any recoveries will throw an error. Rolling back the database allowed for the client to show, however the pointers in the DB are looking at a disk that has been cleared.

Did you happen to backup this server with the windows file system agent at anytime?

Posted: 11-16-2010, 4:47 AM

Hi Stephen,

Just checked the server that had the archive data on and it does have a file system agent on it; however although it has backed up the drive that the archive is stored on; it has not backed up the archive folder itself. (Not sure if this is by design). I am really starting to panic over the archived data now; as I am seeing a lot of recovery jobs appearing in the job controller. Is there any logs to tell me what was archived and when? If there is then I may be able to get something sorted?

Sorry to harass further, but I am after assistance with another problem now aswell. Since we performed a DR restore yesterday, we now get this message on some of the backup jobs.

"The De-duplication database and the Commserve are out of sync" I have searched the knowledgebase but there doesnt seem to be anything which references this. any ideas?

Really sorry to keep throwing this problems onto you; but I am really stumped!

Thanks

Paul

Posted: 11-16-2010, 7:22 AM

Hello Paul,

Certainly a tough situation here.

Being that you have backed up the content of your archive folder with the file system agent you will need to perform your browse previous to when the data was archived. The reason you're not seeing any content within the archive folder is due to the data not being present post archiving therefore removing it from recent index.

The Dedupe DB is likely out of sync since you restored your commserve database to a time earlier than your DDB. We can help you adjust this to sync it up again.

At this point I encourage you to stay engaged with Support and let us work together to minimize the impact caused from deleting the client.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy