Exchange Backup CV8.0 sp5

Last post 03-10-2011, 7:00 PM by VC0. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange Backup CV8.0 sp5
    Posted: 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
    • VC0 is not online. Last active: 06-10-2011, 4:31 PM VC0
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

We have exchange 07 in a 2 node cluster like mail1 and mail2 consist of 4 servers. Backups are not finishing the fulls during the weekend with very low throughput. So we broke mail1 &2 into mutiple subclients. Also increased data readers to 6 on each subclient, and set network agents to 2, turned compression off even though they are beefy servers. In data paths under sp for primary you can see both media agents one is set for default. On data path config auto add new path is selected along with round robin. Media is set for multiplex factor 4.

Also under schedule policy for exchange I set time to start first. But I want to change job priority so other backup jobs will not stop exchange jobs and it will finish. The default is 166 and I set it to 155, after reading the doc's for scheduled not sure if it is set correctly. There are 10 drive letters for one media agent and 9 for the other for a total of 24.6 TB. Hopefully it will grab enough drives to get the through put I need and will not stop untill finished.

It is just job priority setting that I am not sure about.

Does anybody else have some performance tweaking for exchange. It seemed to slow down after sp5.

• Re: Exchange Backup CV8.0 sp5
    Posted: 11-16-2010, 9:34 AM

Setting to 155 should be of a higher priority so it should supercede backup and aux copy. 

Referencing the slowdown after SP5, a job summary report should be able to prove if this was the cause, if you know when you applied sp5 to the machine (check updateinfo.log on the client for the time data of patch application).

Posted: 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Have you also applied SP3 to your Exchange cluster?  We have noticed a significant slowdown in Exchange Mailbox backups following applying Exchange SP3 to our 07 cluster.  The mail store on our cluster nodes grabs every bit of RAM that it can, and the mailbox backups slow down as a result.  Backups run well following a reboot of the cluster nodes, but then slow down over time as RAM is consumed.  We haven't found a good resolution yet, but that is what we've identified up to this point.

Posted: 11-16-2010, 4:58 PM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

We are at Sp2, but that is good information that we need to check out.

We were going to apply the sp, but now will check it out.

thanks

Posted: 11-16-2010, 5:07 PM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

Vincenzo_Basolino

Thanks for the feedback just wanted to verify the 155, so restores wont be affected. Still checking on reports and log file just not enough time in a day. I dont know about everybody else but backups are about 15% of my workload. But am glad I have a job!

Posted: 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

ExchangeDB can only use one stream and will not mutliplex. Have broken it into 13 subclients and it is still dog slow. Something changed around sp5, all other backups are fine. Also comserve is laggy with no media agents on it, lots of memory,cpu's nic all are just idleing along even with all fulls running. Also tried even rebooting mail servers.

Posted: 11-30-2010, 10:33 AM

VC0,

Wanted to follow up on this post.

Still seeing slow throughput on your Exchange backups?

Posted: 11-30-2010, 11:15 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

After breaking the storage groups up. I saw that 2 of the storage groups on mail2 were restarting over like 4 times. In the job status it said unknown software error (call your software vendor). But when I run a job summary report it onle shows this error.

• 2961515 [mbx3/exTiDbBackup] [11/23/2010 22:42:52 ]: The Exchange server returned the following error message: [0x50d] - [Either the target process, or the target thread's containing process, is a protected process. ]. Api: [HrESEBackupSetup()], Item: [lisdmail2-SG2Logs-T1]

It shows that the job completed with errors (CTE).

Posted: 03-10-2011, 9:59 AM

VC0,

We are now getting the same 0x50d error.  What did you end up doing?  Can you help point us in the right direction?

Posted: 03-10-2011, 7:00 PM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

There was a old incorrect host file on mbx1. We now have infobox's for dns and dhcp.

Also failed over active node, along with breaking up default sub client of db's size from 7 tb into as many smaller sizes as possible for multiple streams to access. Make sure all updates and hotfixes are done on cs media agents and exchange hosts.

After all of that the error was gone, and it backed up the db's much faster.

Hope this helps

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy